No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green glass vase - eyebath?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Green glass vase - eyebath?
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Hello all, just got this little gem and would like to know if anyone recognises it. It is 8cm in height and 8cm at its widest. I used my 50p scale as I need something to show its size.( Dont knock it, I need scale. I ordered a military pin badge -2cm- and didnt have a scale in the pic. It was a 8 inch metal insignia)
 I have seen a similar green on Sklo union glass and a similar style of 'lugs' on clear vases. Hope my pics have improved now I have the size problem solved. ;D
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Green glass vase
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:10:45 AM »
hi , this has been on the board before a few times, but I'm blowed if I can find it or remember what it is - I think what is not, is Sklo Union Czech glass...I think it may be Polish if I remember correctly?
I'll try and find other threads if I can.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16:25 AM »
As far as I remember these are unidentified at present. I vaguely recall Jinrich saying that they don't seem to crop up in the Czech Republic but they are found in Britain, it is possible that they were made here or were made for a British supplier.

I have one here and I have been wondering how it was they were made as they cannot just be pressed, at the base of the inner part of the vase the walls bulge inwards, so if they were pressed they also had some work done on them when they came out of the mould. If that makes any sense?

John

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »
Dont know if it can be seen but the ribs are on the inside and the glass is smooth on the outside. Its a very 'tactile'  piece and a good colour. I'm still looking for an answer with no luck.  It weighs 260g and there doesnt seem to be a lot of wear to the base. That could mean fairly new or not moved a lot in its life. It looks to me like the ribs inside are clear glass ?? or just an effect from the colour.  I see what you mean about the inside. I only paid £2 for it in a charity shop but always like to find out what I can. Thanks.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40554.0.html
A topic that leads to another topic...  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
Thanks Dirk. I was thinking Czech, similar colour green and a 'winged' effect in some of the pieces I saw. Its still a nice piece and if the answer is ever found it would be good. GMB can use my pics if they want to for reference. Thanks again all.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »
I'm sure I've seen these in a catalogue someone has posted online. I was recently looking at Czech catalogues so my first reaction would be Czech - but following the links on this and other forums for the same items seems to suggest I might be misremembering (not all that uncommon).   it could be that they just look similar and others are being more discerning (also not that uncommon).

While others were studying glass, I was just emptying them!  :wsh:

AND, I'd have given £2 for it easily!

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
I just saw this on another thread here. Is it just me or is it a very similar shape. Still doesnt help ID mine though. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45891.msg256900.html#msg256900

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »
I was thinking of something that looked a little more like yours, Pete.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
Thanks Scavo, I think this will remain an unidentified for a while, the answer always turns up eventually, I have faith in GMB users. I have to as my memory is shot to pieces  :o  I wouldnt mind finding a few in different colours. I  thought the shape of the other vase was so close to these little vases it may have given a clue. £2 is a good price to pay ;D I seldom pay more than a few pound for pieces and on occasion get back at good return, its a hobby and I let a few quid build up and have a night out. It will end up online eventually as I have no room for a decent display and a very active 12yr old that can damage an empty room in minutes !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand