No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blown glass Bowl with 4 large (blown) glass legs ?? Czech maybe ??? I dunno...  (Read 998 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
 :hi:

....and got this from the Auction place here that I *think* might have been the sleeper in the group of glass (??)

It is weird, wonky around the top edges a bit -- and yet very stunning too.   The bowl is 9.25 inches across/wide and about a total of 3.5 inches tall.  The *legs* (4 of them ??) are about 2 inches long just themselves.  No seams where they were attached at all.  I have never seen a bowl like this with 4 legs like this.  The colors make me think of Czech, but that is just a guess.  :-\  Weighs in at 3 pounds.  It is kinda a Mauve, brown and Blue color.  If I was to guess -- Maybe Czech?  Base (legs) show some wear..

Any ideas on my 4 legged Friend here?  Maker or date?  Or anything at all ??

Seen anything like this at all before, I have not?  Like I said -- Weird, yet stunning!!

Thanks as always.  :kissy:

:X:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Can't help Rose,never seen anything like it,Czech,Italy maybe ;D ;D well found ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Rose, you're right in thinking that your bowl is Czech -- it is Skrdlovice actually :)
David (langaugh) has several of these in his collection: https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove/CzechoslovakiaSkrdlovice.

I vaguely remember that they were designed by Frantisek Zemek (but stand to be corrected)

Michael

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Rose, you're right in thinking that your bowl is Czech -- it is Skrdlovice actually :)
David (langaugh) has several of these in his collection: https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove/CzechoslovakiaSkrdlovice.

I vaguely remember that they were designed by Frantisek Zemek (but stand to be corrected)

Michael

Thanks Micheal -- and for (langaugh) link.  Yes it would appear to be the same as his.  Looks like it is Skrdlovice then if that IS A positive ID then, with Frantisek Zemek as designer ?

What year would it be made?  And Did they just come in just one Size -- or like a small, medium, and large size?  just wondering..

Thanks. 

I only paid $12.50 for it - so I think a Good price if it is Skrdlovice!  I never knew who made it, but just guessed with those blending of colors it might be Czech

:thup:

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
I think there was a thread about these about a year ago, but I can't find it anymore...

In the Skrdlovice pattern books this design is PN 5594 (so from 1955), designer Frantisek Zemek.
There is only one size in the book with measures of 23 (or 25 cm, can't quite read it) diameter and 10 cm height, so quite a good match to your bowl.

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Rose, great price for a very nice piece of glass.  I'd say anything under $80 would be a bargain here. This model must have been exported to Canada quite a bit.  They're not common, by any means, but a few have shown up.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Rose, great price for a very nice piece of glass.  I'd say anything under $80 would be a bargain here. This model must have been exported to Canada quite a bit.  They're not common, by any means, but a few have shown up.

David

Thanks David!

Yeah, I am glad I got it for $12.50  :thup: 

I suppose a lot of glass ended up here in Canada with a lot of immigration from people with European Roots......plus also with Export of glass too. 

So I guess this is a Positive ID on this item -- and can get moved over to Czech Glass (maybe).  Thanks all for that!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand