No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Probably Irish, possibly rather old, heavily cut liquer glasses... opinions?  (Read 749 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :hi:
I found these two glasses in Belfast - on a bric-a-brac stand in the wonderful Farmer's market they have.

They're a bit strange. On first looking they seem very similar as if they might be a pair, but they are definitely not.

The're both different colours. One is yellowish glass, the other is sun-purpled.
And while the cutting looks to be the same pattern, it is completely different on each glass.

There are different numbers of panels cut around the top part - 14 on the sun-purpled glass and 12 on the yellower one.
Between the bulge and the knop of each, there are 8 panels.
Below the knop, there are 8 panels on the sun-purpled one, but 9 on the yellower one.

The cutting on the knops is not quite the same and there are different numbers of repeats of the pointy sharp bits on the bulge.

I was wondering if the same-but-different patterns might indicate a cottage industry of cutters..... ????
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Last pic - the pontil mark on the other glass.
The pontil marks are completely different sizes, but both are completely round.

I'm a bit stuck for finding age-related wear to the bases. I think they actually sit on a very, very very narrow ring.

I can feel age-related wear with my fingernail. I just can't SEE it.
I was wondering if I used a wee drip of coffee on the base to "delineate" the wear, by "printing" it on a bit of paper?
Might that work?

Everything about them screams old. "Poor" colour and frit - but very heavily worked and a bit wonky.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Could the "thistle" shape indicate they were from Scotland rather than Ireland, I wonder?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think the incongruities are more in keeping with an Irish origin than a Scottish one...
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Leni

• Members
You don't mention the size of these, Sue.  I have a small 'Thistle' glass, but with a merese instead of a knop (and 11 panels round the top and a polished out pontil mark!  ;D )  I would think so many companies must have made this shape that it would be very difficult to find out a maker for yours! 
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
They're 3.5 inches tall.
I'd agree that it's a very common sort of thistle design, my curiosity was piqued more by the fact that they're together and so different from each other.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand