No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edwardian Lead Crystal etched drinking glass - Period unknown  (Read 867 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Edwardian Lead Crystal etched drinking glass - Period unknown
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:59:53 AM »
Hi,  I purchased six  lovely Edwardian glasses. Two unfortunately got damaged during transit.  I have seen similar types and have categorised this one shown, due to it's shape and style, as also being Edwardian.  Very little else is known. The height is 14.1cm, the base stand dia. is 6.2cm.  The base is not flat and only the outer rim sits on a flat surface.  The cup base pattern design, follows down the stem were it meets the stand. There are 15 flat surfaces around the stem.   The base stand tapers from the stem, descending in two spaced steps to the outer rim.   The pontil area (polished), is convex and measures approx approx 1.9cm.   The overall weight of the drinking glass, is approx. 260g.  Any further help would certainly be appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Edwardian Lead Crystal etched drinking glass - Period unknown
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:42:11 AM »
Hello Otis  -  sorry to be a pain, but any chance of taking some more pix with better contrast and more clarity - and do you really mean that the 'polished pontil' is convex?? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:57:57 PM »
Hi Paul S.,   Yes! they are concave, not convex as stated initially.  I chose a different Edwardian glass in these pictures, which will hopefully  show more of the finished polished pontil.  Sections around the rim of the pontil are more prominent.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
thanks, much better.       I'm not sure that there is an 'Edwardian style' as such - would imagine that, outside of the Aesthetic/arts and crafts/art nouveau slants, the Edwardians continued the Victorian fashions, in the main.     Unless you knew for sure, then think it would be difficult to say with certainty that these had been made in the first decade of the C20.          Would describe the shape as 'goblet' - so could be used for claret or wine, in the main.   The ground/polished pontil lifts them above the ordinary pieces, which would probably have shown a 'gadget mark' finish to the base.     I take it that you are saying 'lead' because when flicked these glasses give a good ring, which would fit with the better quality finished pontil mark.
I'm unsure of the reason for the 'red' glow in the first pix.  ....whether it's the result of the manganese (used as a decolourizer), or simply a reaction to iron impurities in the glass.     I know that manganese will react to u.v. light with a dull grey/green colour.     Someone else might comment better on this aspect.

They are nice, and you should use them - you'd get a bigger drink than using a sherry or port :)..      as to date, well they could be anywhere from 1870 to 1920, but I would put my neck on the block and say the decoration is created by wheel engraving.
Sorry not to be of more help  -  the C19 and early C20 produced glasses in profusion with more variety of decoration than you can imagine  -  have a look in Silber & Fleming sometime. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52:29 AM »
No problem whatsoever Paul S.  There is certainly a significant difference in the clarity.  To be honest, the only reason I thought they might be Edwardian is, solely on the basis of similar type glasses I have seen during my investigation on numerous sites, however, not necessarily this shape.  Yes! I had to try them out again and the ring tone is definitely high pitched and crystal clear, that is on all four.  I feel gutted that the other two got damaged!  What's my chance of obtaining another two like these...........I wonder? ::)   
I will now call them goblet glasses.   I manage to put these under a U.V light test, and yes! in areas I could see the discolouration within the glass and a dull green, displaced in areas.  Mainly visible around the rim, stem and stand.
I definitely would not t be using these to drink from, especially being traumatized by what happened to the other two  :thud:.
 I am assuming you meant, that the graving was carried out by hand on a grinding wheel, the reason why I am asking is, if so, how were they able to get the pattern design around the top part of the goblet, nearly equally spaced without overlapping.  I think I might of just answered my own question ::).
I will most definitely be making every effort to look into Silber & Fleming .   Thanks for your information, I am more than grateful. :cheers:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand