No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Apart from Webb's Iris did any other British maker do gold/amber iridescent..  (Read 2325 times)

Offline keith

• Members
I've around 30 pieces of Webbs,some marked some not but they all have polished pontil marks,I have yet to see one that's not ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes it's a curiousity.  Are all your pieces you refer to, Thomas Webb rather than Webb Corbett?  any dating before 1910?
thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Many firms left the pontil unpolished if the item had a foot like a trumpet bell , there was no need to polish as it wouldnt touch down and it saved costs . It was not so quick and easy to polish inside the foot i believe . I have several Whitefriars items with trumpet bell foot and cut of pontil un-polished .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
John, yes I agree.  The piece in question does not have a domed foot, but the centre is raised and the pontil mark is so neatly snapped off you would barely notice and very smooth, feels as though it maybe slightly firepolished or something.  Looks a bit like a Graystan pontil mark. if you know what I mean.
m

Offline keith

• Members
All T.Webb and all 20th century apart from a couple of 'Burmese' pieces the only Webb Corbett I have are paperweights ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Keith.
Thomas Webb item here without polished pontil mark
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1817.msg12260.html#msg12260
m

Offline keith

• Members
Oops :pb: must have been an off day at the factory :-[

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Bernard did say it was very neat though Keith and photographs of pontil marks are notoriously difficult to show what it really looks like on the piece.  It is  nothing like the vase I'm looking at to be honest.
One more question then, does anyone know if Richardson's ever produced anything like Webb's Iris gold/amber finish and did they make glass with a snapped of pontil mark?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Wouldn't a picture be easier M? "It" might not even be English!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
no photos as it hasn't arrived yet, but the finish is the same as these these links

http://www.decorative-antiques.co.uk/displayItem.asp?IID=8700

http://fineart.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=623&lotNo=30393

and probably the same as this one although I suspect the photograph on this one has bleached out the iridescence and the finish
http://www.museum.bristolblueglass.com/iris-glass-vases-ca-1880s/

the shape is most similar to the bristol museum piece, but the foot is not ribbed it is plain, it has a ring around the foot as this one does, the vase body is similar and ribbed but my example has a ruffled rim.

And the overriding difference to all of them is that it has a snapped off pontil mark and no marking for Webb's Iris.  I can find posy vases attributed as Webb's Iris but with no marking and no reference to a pattern book number, but I cannot find examples with a snapped off pontil mark.

I will post pictures as soon as it finally turns up.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand