No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraved or cut? antique? clear footed bowl with underplate  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Engraved or cut? antique? clear footed bowl with underplate
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »
as requested m - here is a side picture (plus view of the backstamp) of my finger bowl.     

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »
Interesting Paul, I'm not sure that is the same either  :-\
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:36 PM »
Looking for  a reference for Leni's vase I happened upon the cut glass piece in CH's 20th Century British Glass again. On page 31 there is a decanter on the right that has the little blossoms on and they don't appear (although I find it quite hard to see detail in the pics) to have the second row of circles round the middle.  It also has a scooped line around the bottom with three cut leaves 'holding' the drapes up in a similar way to my bowl (although the draped line appears to be the other way up to my bowl).  On page 30 plate 56 vase on far left appears to have (although again difficult to see if there isn't more on there as well as the leaves) the same cut leaves waving out from the centre as  on the foot as my bowl and Paul's footed bowl marked MADE IN ENGLAND.  I'm not trying to 'make' my bowl S&W but thought these were relevant observations.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »
apologies, that was a slightly garbled post as being interrupted by children - I meant that I happened upon the Stevens and Williams pages in the book, so all those references above are discussing Stevens and Williams pieces.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
I have just been looking up various topics on Webb's and a member has commented on another thread that Webb's signed their items from 1907. 
If this is true then either a) I have a rare unsigned piece of Webb's post 1907  or b) it could be a Webb's piece from earlier than 1907 which would mean Thomas Webb & Corbett Ltd or c) my footed bowl and underplate are not Webb's.
Question - Is the shape of the bowl with the widely flared rim, a shape that Webb's or Thomas Webb made? 
M

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »
quote     "and a member has commented on another thread that Webb's signed their items from 1907"..........if you're referring to Thomas Webb m, then I believe we have discussed here before the fact that this factory sometimes signed, and sometimes didn't .......just to confuse us all.     I certainly have pieces that are, and some that aren't. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
mm, before I saw your reply Paul I realised I may have been confused again.  I was trying to find the reference as you replied.  I shall find it an check.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:23 PM »
 :-[ yes I believe though the reference only said Webb, that  reading through again it was referring to Thomas Webb signing all from 1907.
m

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 05:03:25 PM »
Even a smaller company such as Tudor still produced quite a lot of various design in intalgio engraved glasses. Here are three intaglio glasses all marked Tudor made in England at the base. All the base engraved pattern are also completely different as well. None of the these are sign by Jack Lloyd (the man for intaglio at Tudor).
m. So it is very difficult to find out who made you bowl. Could be Tudor or the two Webbs unless somebody got the same pattern and marked.
Unlikely to be S&W l think your glass is likely to be 1950s.
Above infor just my personnal view.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »
Thanks Ming, your bottom one looks the most similar I think.
It seems like finding one exactly like mine will not be possible then - it's a minefield out there.  Perhaps it will just sit on the shelf like my blue vase  ;D
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand