No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood Elephant expert needed for ID please.  (Read 9380 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Wedgwood Elephant expert needed for ID please.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
They are definitely crafted with an intimate knowledge of the animal concerned, Wedgwood's animals are more abstract in form.

Here is another from Ngwenya:

John 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
Can't disagree with you there aa, but if it has a false signature, does that make it more valuable or less?
There is a lot of 'character' captured in these animals, and one day, I may well start an Ngwenya collection, having been brought up in Africa. 
However, at the moment I am trying to complete my Wedgwood 'ellie' collection, and there is still a way to go.

There is a bid on the elephant now BTW

"Only a few hours to go until they end......if I could afford to waste the money,  I would buy them, but I would rather spend it on properly listed stuff,  besides the Glass Fair is on Sinday and I might need some pennies for that if I decide to go."
I did of course mean Sunday,  although it all depends on how much I spend there!!

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
besides the Glass Fair is on Sinday and I might need some pennies for that if I decide to go."
I did of course mean Sunday,  although it all depends on how much I spend there!!

Good point, you may well find that there are some animals at the Cambridge Glass Fair!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
I really hope so aa 'cos I am still looking for an Amber Lilliput ellie and a trunk up white one!  :X:
Rosie.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:04:44 AM »
You just cant help it can you Rosie ? ;D ::) Should be a good turn out now boys  EHHH .

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
Is that you bidding Rosie?
Nancy

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »
For the avoidance of any possible doubt, I have just shown this to Eddie King who was at Wedgwood Glass making elephants among a wide range of other things and he confirms that this was not a Wedgwood design.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
Not me bidding Nancy......but I noticed just before I started work that the title had been changed to 'Wedgwood Style',  so perhaps someone else has said something to her???

Good to have your assurance and clarification aa, thanks for that.

It has sold with 3 bids.....at £16 I don't think that is a bad price to pay for one of these ellies....if I were collecting them I would be 'well pleased' as they say.
Rosie.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
Rosie, I picked up a Wedgwood white trunk-up elephant at a charity shop last year - around £6 I think.  Sold it on Ebay for about £20 if I remember.  But I was surprised at the amount of interest.  Are the white ones hard to come by?
Nancy

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »
Hi Nancy,  you don't seem to see many of them about.  There is one on eBay at the moment at over £40 with label etc.....and I do have one that has blue mottling in the white but I think it might be an Isle of Man one as the colouring is the same as an IOM squirrel that is so Wedgwood looking apart from the positioning of the tail which is swept to one side.

I'm surprised I didn't grab yours when it was on eBay,  I would have happily paid that for one....I have the trunk down one, and most of the other colours in pairs.

Some are in pristine condition, and for those that aren't, I wait for a better one to come along,  get that, then sell the other one on.....should hopefully end up with a nice collection.

Then in amongst them are the two tone ones and of course the Turnmill blue one that aa kindly identified for me.... one of my first queries here on GMB!    

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22239.msg125468.html#msg125468

So it would seem I have gone full circle!  :sun:
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand