No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this cameo vase Fenton?  (Read 788 times)

Offline Longshanks

• Members
Is this cameo vase Fenton?
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:59:40 AM »
The Ebay vendor thought this might be Fenton:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280825548313?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I have a similar piece with a similar indistinguishable marking on the base & I can't figure out who made it.
This vendor thinks his might be Galle (I'm pretty sure it's not):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280831167736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
This one looks like mine although it's a different shape:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220959275865?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
They all look to be made by the same maker - they are very good quality. The cameo levels seem deeper than Art Nouveau French.
Anyone help me out here? It's driving me crazy (gradually)!
Thanks in advance.
David

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Is this cameo vase Fenton?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:15:38 AM »
I'm not familar with Fenton cameo, however, I do know that a great deal of the cameo glass that comes onto the market is made in Romania. There are also Chinese firms offering cameo glass (though it's a little confusing as Romanian cameo is also sold in China). My thoughts on seeing the pieces in the links was that were likely modern Chinese or Romanian production. However, as I say, I'm no great expert on modern cameo so i could be wrong...

Do a search for 'Galle' on Alibaba.com , I suspect you'll find something similar...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:49:48 AM »
Definitely not Fenton.  They've not made much cameo glass, and all of it is marked, not only with the Fenton mark, but also with the name of the designer/carver, Kelsey Murphy.

The vases you've link to all have the greasy look of contemporary Chinese-made fakes.

edited to add: I  missed Steven's post before I posted.  If he says Chinese or Romanian, than it's Chinese or Romanian.
Robert

Offline Longshanks

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:55:02 AM »
Thanks for your comment Steven. The pieces I've seen from China & Romania are often not the best quality; the cameos seem quite basic and they usually put a 'Galle' or Galle TIP" in there, these seem a little different. I would not be surprised, however, if they did turn out to originate from one of these countries. Regards.

Offline Longshanks

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:01:48 AM »
I'm thinking you might be right Robert. I hadn't heard the 'greasy look' comment before but it does make sense

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:17:43 AM »
Around the time that I started going to auctions (about 2003-05) there was something of a glut of recent imported cameo vases around here, so I had plenty of hands-on experience with them, and they always have a greasy, plastic-y look about them.
Robert

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand