No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Jacobean' bowl and plinth.  (Read 735 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
'Jacobean' bowl and plinth.
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:15 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this, but if the Mods. prefer to have it in British, then please move :).

This Schrotter design for Inwald is never far from boot sales and charity shops, and I'd got to thinking that most pieces that I see are marked 'Jacobean', but I've found a decanter, large water jug and this bowl in recent days and none is marked, so obviously not an infallible rule.    Water jugs are possibly one of the most commonly found patterns.       Some pieces have a flat ground bottom (unmarked) - some show a base that is entirely moulded - and then some, but not all, are marked 'MADE IN ENGLAND/JACOBEAN REGD.  -  and then again some include a Rd. No.
As regards this bowl, it seems there are two quite similar designs for a glass bowl  -  Nos. 7268/C and 7701 - both illustrated on the Sklo Union CD (Rudolfova before 1958), plus an illustration of design No. 7701 in Millers '20th Century Glass' (page 114) -  and although I think this is 7268/C (because it matches the size of 250mm), I'd appreciate someone else's opinion.         Unfortunately, the CD doesn't show any plinths, and although Miller's illustration does include the base, it's rather small, but the plinth looks right for the one shown here.      This bowl didn't come with a plinth  -  I've taken this one from my collection of bases because it appears to match the one shown in Miller's.

I belive that Glen has commented previously that the flat ground pieces are those made in Czechoslovakia (did Rudolfova hut put the word Jacobean on their pieces?) - whilst those with a moulded base were made by Davidson in the U.K. (or perhaps Czechoslovakia, who continued making this line through to the early 1970's).

I don't collect this design seriously - larger pieces are very deco looking and attractive, but some of the smaller salts and mustard pots are hardly exciting, -  oddly there are very few pieces on Pamela's 'glaspavillon' - despite the range having something like 300 different designs to its credit.     Anyone know which are the rare/very rare patterns?

thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: 'Jacobean' bowl and plinth.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:54 PM »
Glen said that generally the Inwald pieces had a highly polished base, almost a mirror finish, as referred to in our earlier Jacobean topic here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36235.0.html  8)

Can't help with your plinth query though, sorry Paul.  :cry:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 'Jacobean' bowl and plinth.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »
thanks Anne  -  I have a passable amount of available text, in the form of books on Davidson Glass and Miller's....what is not much in evidence is a greater selection of images (other than the Sklo Union CD).
My apologies for the slightly misleading words..........my expression 'flat ground" was meant to be Glen's 'highly polished base'  -  although after some use and wear it's not quite so polished :)
I'm reasonably happy that this plinth is the matching one   -   I'm more uncertain as to which bowl this is.

P.S.    Anyone know if the proposed CD from Chris and Val Stewart (on Davidson glass) is nearing completion?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand