No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cranberry glass spoon warmer or HUGE salt in EPNS stand engraved reg design no  (Read 1490 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I thought this was rather interesting for more than one reason.
I think it a spoon warmer, but glass is not the best material for having spoon warmers made of to be honest, so perhaps a preserve stand of some sort maybe?  However it's other function could be a gigantic salt  ;D or for giants toothpicks. But the only one that makes sense really is spoon warmer and I have seen silver ones in a similar barrel shape modelled as canons.  The frame is correct for it and the perfect fit - it is EPNS and just has EPNS stamped on the fluted base.
It has the registered design no engraved on it 'reg 410770 - this number is not in the Great Glass list of reg numbers unfortunately but dates to 1903. I think glass with an engraved registered number is quite scarce from what I read.
The glass is internally ribbed and has a cut, polished and bevelled rim at the top.  At the base it has a little knop, ground to fit securely into the silver bobble at the bottom of the plated stand.
Measures 6" wide, 5 1/8" high and 3 1/4" deep as a piece with glass in place.

I hope to get a maker, and confirmation that it is designed as a spoon warmer, from the reg number so that will be my next effort, but just thought I'd share as it is a bit of a curiosity.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
it won't be in any of the pressed glass lists, presumably, because it isn't pressed glass :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
As far as I know the Great Glass reg numbers aren't only pressed glass though are they? 
And no it's not pressed glass. It's handblown with a cut and polished rim.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Must admit I don't use that particular list, although it would be the same, in general, as all the other lists (some copying probably)  - although can say that it's not showing in Thompson (inlcuding her supplement).    Too late to be in Slack or Lattimore.           You're correct about including other than pressed, and some cut is also included in the lists - although the pressed authors would not have discussed those.       How about a tooth pick holder?  spill holder?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Spill holder is a possibility Paul, I hadn't thought of that  - but it's much too big for toothpick holder.
So spill holder or spoon warmer, spill holder feels better than spoon warmer, good thinking.
Thanks for looking in Thompson for me, I'm grateful.  I do wonder whether the design number might be for the whole piece, not just the glass and therefore it might be registered in the metals section rather than glass?
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I will look the next time I go to Kew, unless of course you get the answer in the meantime.         But why a spoon warmer  -  are there in fact such things??

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Paul, that's very kind.
There are spoon warmers, plenty of  examples in silver, many being nautilus shell shaped oddly  :)
I'm sure I've read they were also made in glass.  The silver ones seem to me to be more enclosed than this though and the more I think about your suggestion of spill vase, the more I think that  might be more likely than spoon warmer. I was told emphatically it was a spoon warmer when I bought it despite my suggestion it was a giant salt, but that's not to say he was right.  It will be interesting to find out what it was registered as, if that information becomes available.
Take a look at the silver spoon warmers.  Some of them are pretty majestic.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Lump sugar methinks and missing the tongs

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Christine I think you win the prize!