No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19th Century Vasa Murrhina Perfume Bottle - Murano or French?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
I've been trying to pin down an ID on this piece for years.  I bought it thinking it was a piece by an obscure Cade Cod glass company related to Boston & Sandwich, but a little research proved that incorrect.  I took it to the Antiques Roadshow here in the US and the appraiser's first opinion was that it was Venetian.  She took it off and talked to someone else who told her it was French and that's what she went with for her appraisal.

Recently, I was going through the http://www.great-glass.co.uk site's library and found an identical vase cataloged as 19th century Murano with no more information.  I was going to link to the image, but their library is down for repairs at the moment.

It's 4.25" tall and about 3.5" in diameter.  It's definitely vasa murrhina, and it's definitely old, based on the wear and the fittings.  The base layer of glass is black amethyst, and is translucent in strong light.

As always any help is appreciated!
Robert

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
Re: 19th Century Vasa Murrhina Perfume Bottle - Murano or French?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »
Bottom:
Robert

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:04:27 PM »
If it is Vasa Murrhina then that is a definite attribution and it cannot be French or Venetian as well.  I suggest you look up that manufacturer (aka d' Humy).

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:26 PM »
I have a feeling this thread is going to take a turn for the interesting.  

I initially thought, when I bought it, that it was from the Vasa Murrhina Glass Co. of Massachusetts, USA, but it doesn't match their wares at all.

Here in the States "Vasa Murrhina" is a catch-all term for this type of glass marveled in frit and foil.  I'd never heard of the London company, but looking at the pieces in the British Museum, it doesn't seem to match their wares.  

Edited to add: here's what the British Museum shows in their online catalog:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/search_the_collection_database/search_results.aspx?objectId=33394&partId=1&searchText=venetian+glass&fromADBC=ad&toADBC=ad&orig=%2fresearch%2fsearch_the_collection_database.aspx&images=on&numPages=10&currentPage=6&queryAll=People%2f!!%2fOR%2f!!%2f77642%2f!%2f77642-2-37%2f!%2fFactory+of+Vasa+Murrhina+Glass+Company%2f!%2f%2f!!%2f%2f!!!%2f&allCurrentPage=1
Robert

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
Vasa Murrhina refers to either barber bottles made for Dr. Flower at the Cape Cod glassworks and which specifically are dark glass with glitter - not sure if these are mica or aventurine - OR to glass made by d'Humy in London.  Your bottle is neither - it has rolled in shards which is a standard technique used by virtually all glass makers since the romans.
Quite possibly it is Murano 19th ct, but it could equally be French or German or Bohemian.  More detailed pinpointing of a maker or a time is going to be very very difficult. If you manage to get a closer fix, let us know - we would all like to hear about it.

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
Quite possibly it is Murano 19th ct, but it could equally be French or German or Bohemian.  More detailed pinpointing of a maker or a time is going to be very very difficult. If you manage to get a closer fix, let us know - we would all like to hear about it.

That's actually what I'm hoping for here. :)
Robert

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand