No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fostoria American clear Bowl with 'British Made' on Base, ID = Jobling  (Read 1399 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Im a little confused with this one. All my searches came up with the Fostoria American Clear pattern and its a perfect match, this however has British Made on the base ? Did  someone buy the pattern and make it here in the UK. ?
Pete. :-)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Fostoria American clear Bowl with 'British Made' on Base
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »
No, it's Jobling salad bowl No 2583 from the 1930s. Also found in jade and in a small posy bowl. Here's my small one. http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1336 My large jade one has a plant in it, as its a bit battered, so I haven't photographed it. The cube type pattern is not exclusive to Fostoria by any means

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:53:10 AM »
Thanks Lustrousstone. It was confusing me, I looked through my Jobling and other British links and didn't see it. Live and learn :D It was very cheap and I could see that with a clean up it would look really good. It does.
Pete. :-)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 07:54:05 PM »
Just correcting this to the 2077 salad bowl NOT 2583

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:45:40 PM »
 ;D  the larger of the two sizes of this design has projections to the base of the handles, as shown in the example here  -  I assume this allows the bowl to be a stand alone item, though at the time of issue there was a black plinth (catalogue 2535L) made to fit the bowl.      There was a smaller plinth made specifically for the smaller bowl, plus a 2" flower block for the small bowl.
For whatever reason it seems that neither size of this bowl was Registered.

Unfortunately, the factory catalogue omits dimensions for both sizes of bowl  -  I have seen the jade version several times, and it's an attractive piece which glows well.

In view of Christine's id perhaps the Mods. can now move this one to British & Irish Glass. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand