No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Malta Decorative Glass footed swan, fish, penguin with labels !! & others !  (Read 20166 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Wrong! Pete Elliotts stand at Shepton :)
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D
Ok!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
That attenuated bottle is lovely, bulbous and freeformed and not mould blown like the later round (and square) variations from Mdina.

Here it is in Rosie's photo (amber bottle, right hand side): http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pid=16047&fullsize=1

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D
That's in Cambridge. 8) 
I wonder if he'll still have them in November. I've got a tall tall green stoppered bottle, and a massive one, but I need a short tall one.
I want a bottle too, but I want a green one. Green MDG is the bestest.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Gosh !! You guys 'n' gals are spot-on ...what an education this has been !!

John, I totally agree with you , my whale isn't a Boffo ! But the mottled brown one surely must be !!

Here are some more photos ....the tail is crude , thick and blobby. The head far less bulbous. Not identical at all !

The swan's head is totally wrong , and it seems the penguin has had two attempts at elongating the beak !

My examples just illustrate that Vicente Boffo was designing some fairly simple forms for his team to replicate ...to a degree !

As for those bottles ....Boffo !!

I will post some shots of the base of the swan and the label .. .. Thanks very much indeed for all the feedback. I hope my examples have added another clue to the story of MDG ! There must be  examples of Boffo MDG swans out there (better than mine!) somewhere !  Ta very much , Mike.

Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
A photo of swan label ....
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
This is a pic of some of my MDG - although I suspect the Fish vase and the cut-ice lollipop may have been made at Mdina - these pieces are, I believe, by Vicente Boffo.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks so much, Sue, for showing your superb collection ! They are all really so lovely !

I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between Mdina and MDG...without a label  !

I will try to look out for them on my glass hunting missions . ;)

Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Amber casing would signify MDG, as would anything in green (not a colour used at Mdina).

Apart from that, it's the way the "painterly strapping" is applied - it's highly distinctive, in a sort of vague mesh or honeycomb pattern, loads of red streaks in the browns if it's an Earthtones style piece - otherwise the colours are in a very distinctive cloudy sort of pattern....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I've been looking for an adjective which is more subtle than subtle , but I don't think there is one.  :)

As soon as I find an example I will be posting it on here like a shot !!

It's all so fascinating to say the least !
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand