No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Murano' glass sculpture on plinth - no signature  (Read 1066 times)

Offline scavo

• Members
'Murano' glass sculpture on plinth - no signature
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »
I picked this 'Murano' sculpture up today. No signature.

11"  x 7" x 2" (plinth 2 1/2" x 4")

There are bubbles and a few surface irregularities. There are 2 shades of green cased in clear glass.

I am fully aware that someone may say not Murano hence my ''s suggesting the generic term. What I am asking is - has anyone seen them in TKMaxx?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: 'Murano' glass sculpture on plinth - no signature
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:10:42 PM »
No but I have seen similar in the British Heart Foundation - I couldn't say they were identical but a similar idea. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
The bases of examples in this style from China which I've seen in various high street stores always have had square bases, not curved ones like yours, so that may be a good sign, or not... I don't know.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
I had a look on ebay and all those on there had bases about 1" high and were square.

British heart foundation. Hmmm, maybe. You've reminded me that my local BHF had some glass that was impressive but the fact they had too much of it gave the game away. I remember they had a rather nice glass Buddha. Were the bases like this?

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
Do you live anywhere near Sunderland? It reminds me of these... http://www.joannemitchellglassdesign.co.uk/commissions.htm
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
Thanks Tigerchips. I quite some of her work. And of course it would make sense why this has a high plinth - to take award details.

I was scratching my head as to why it would be on a plinth in the first place. The majority of Murano sculptures are not on plinths.

And if as 'm' says, they were being sold in a BHF (I bought it in a Charity shop but not BHF), they could have been a donation from a business that went bump? They did look a bit expensive for them to have bought in to sell.

In the shop I bought it from they told "The woman who donated it said it was Italian." Now of course I know that doesn't mean a thing.

Offline isleofwight collector

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
There are very modern versions of these - available from Next and TK Maxx.  Ive had 2 of these from both places mentioned and they both had the clear glass plinths at the bottom.  But these were available in the last year or so (the two I had were made in China).

I do think there may be earlier pieces that the chinese have copied but it depends how new your looks on closer inspection.
It is a nice shaped one either way  :)

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
Thanks IoW,
I made a trip to TKMaxx on the weekend and checked their glass out. They had some similar sculptures but they were not the same. There is a lot more substance to mine. However, I'm fairly sure they are not in this league, but in terms of substance they are closer than the TKMaxx chinese ones:
http://www.muranoglassgifts.com/murano-glass-calcedonia/calcedonia-abstract-P1185.html
http://www.muranoglassgifts.com/murano-glass-calcedonia/murano-knot-P2513.html but I am not hopeful that they are the same quality!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand