No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cut scent with machine turned enamelling.  (Read 460 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
cut scent with machine turned enamelling.
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »
I'm unsure as to the coutry of origin of the glass, so have posted here, although I suspect British.
The silver is marked Sterling, plus the makers mark in pic. three - which looks like a masons compass/upper case A, which according to Jackson's Hallmarks suggests it's Adie Brothers Ltd. (London C20 - 'prolific makers').
But the unknown bit for me is the No. on the brass top, which is preceded by what appears to be '1T' - certainly a T, but not too sure about the '1' (have just had a thought it might be abbreviation of the word PAT.).     Font size of these Nos. is exceptionally small, and pics. have been taken though a binocular microscope, and I think they read 26499(or 8)6.       Could be a metal Rd. No. I suppose, but would appreciate any suggestions on this point please.           Total height is about 5.5" - 140mm
The glass appears to be without any marks - has a flat ground/polished base, and has mitres of some considerable depth for its size.   I've shed loads of scents and atomisers, but this is probably the best I've had at a boot sale, and is probably only the second or third with this piston action as opposed to the rubber bulb sort, and the pink machine turned enamelling looks very high class (sorry it had to be pink Sue ;))
Not sure of age, but would go with 1940's or close  -  do people agree?     Thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: cut scent with machine turned enamelling.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
Hello Paul,we have a few similar pieces with that type of enamel and most are from around the mid-twenties,I'd say yours was the same but I have been wrong before ::) ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:06:12 AM »
Paul — it looks a good quality cut.   Have you checked the factory pattern books in Reynolds yet?   Certainly Walsh supplied bottles which had these enamel topped atomisers fitted, and I'm fairly certain that Tudor took over this client base when Walsh closed.   My fully signed Rainsford is one like this.   Keith's date and my observations indicate a fairly long period of manufacture, mid twenties to mid fifties, possibly longer.

Here's a Walsh/Tudor unmarked example in cut pattern A5227.   Click the image to enlarge.   This has machine turned top decoration and is not enamelled.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:17:28 AM »
Keith/Bernard - many thanks for looking and advice.         I have been through the 1925 - 1951 catalogue pages in Reynolds, although because the pix are so small I always seem to end up with a headache  -  and wasn't aware of seeing this pattern of cutting.    But will look again, as quite possible to miss something when the scale is so small.
Must admit Bernard that the metalwork on mine does seem to match the shape of yours, exactly by the looks of it - although not sure if yours has a silver collar.         Assuming mine would have originally had the standard marks for London plus a date letter, it's a shame that someone has been too busy with the elbow grease - those marks have been rubbed away - but would have given a better clue as to date of manufacture, but would agree it has the potential to been earlier than I had thought originally. 
Also Bernard, on your example is there a similar No. on the domed base metal part?     
As for the glass, I understand that Walsh didn't always mark, so might still be theirs.
Believe my expression 'machine turned' not quite correct, and think should be 'engine turned' - not sure how far this goes back when related to this sort of material.
But thanks again, and this evening I will look again in Reynolds.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:20:29 AM »
If it's a registration number the design dates back to 1896.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:33:29 PM »
Also known as guilloche enamel work,here's mine..........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand