No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Confirmation wanted Exbor, Ladislav Oliva?  (Read 981 times)

Offline orange-alert.co.uk

• Members
ID Confirmation wanted Exbor, Ladislav Oliva?
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »
Hi all

I bought this wonderful vase the other week, just had to have it. It looks very similar to the work of ladislav Oliva, but I can't find an exact match to it in his work. Any help greatly appreciated
Regards
Steve
orange-alert.co.uk

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: ID Confirmation wanted Exbor, Ladislav Oliva?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »
I remember bidding on a similar one, with clear and pink instead of cobalt, also believing it to be Oliva at the time, but I later found that one with the exact same pattern, but without the colour on ebay with a German label. Unfortunately I cannot remember which German factory it was, only that it was a German one (and I remember mostly the feeling of 'the Oliva wasn't an Oliva after all'). It's obviously a quality piece, maybe it was Hirschberg?

I'm also not sure if the one I bid on, the one with the label and yours were all exactly the same. They all had these rounded striped bits in a similar pattern sticking out at two sides of the vase, with two sides blank. Sorry that I can't be more specific and more decisive about it.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:16:44 PM »
Hi Astrid thank you for your info. I have had a look at Hirschberg, but the pieces I have seen are all rather thin soda type affairs. I also have not ruled out Zweisel. Oh well, I will keep looking.
Regards
Steve

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
I wouldn´t rule out german, too. The pattern always reminds me of a magnified and cut
version of Emil Funke´s design for Gralglas. Since cut glass designs are rather scarce within
their range I´m tending towards the theory, that it´s an ´adaption´ of Funke´s design
by another german company. BTW it also comes in part satinised (front and back) and the
protruding parts cut and polished clear again.
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096/Gralglas#5631469295830823378
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
I really can't remember the company from my post above, Hirschberg was a wild stab. German companies often made both cheaper soda pieces and more high end crystal pieces.  I've yet to acquire a bit of quality Hirschberg myself. The last one I bid on sadly escaped, nearly 2 years ago, and I haven't seen one since.

Stylistically, there are a few more companies you could try that might have done that sort of design in the late 60s or early 70s: WMF, Schott Zwiesel, Nachtmann, Friedrich, Ichendorf, Rosenthal, Gral (but it's not in the Gral book that I know of), Peill (that wasn't the label, or I would have remembered). Unfortunately finding catalogues for any of these is difficult, and only the cheaper/more common pieces turn up regularly, so searching for them on the internet will most likely only show these common/cheaper pieces.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I will probably rule out Peill & Putzler as I have a few of their pieces and this vase has a very different feel, though of course the frosted/clear version could point one in their direction. While I have a couple of you with a vast knowledge of German glass could I ask you to look at this other piece on my website http://orange-alert.co.uk/ArielGraalVase.htm I think the technique is Ariel and it has a German exhibition/retail label on the base. It has been suggested that it is by Gral, but again I can find nothing similar.
Regards
Steve

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
May I ask you to put the one from the link in a seperate thread with photo? It certainly deserves one.

This seller on ebay.de has the same one, also unsigned, and calls the pattern Atlanta for Gral-glas, by Habermeier/Wiedmann. I usually don't trust attributions by ebay sellers, but this one practically screams 'Wiedmann' to me. Dirk might be able to confirm, he's collects and appreciates Wiedmann with a passion.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/HABERMEIER-WIEDMANN-Gral-Glas-Unikat-ATLANTA-Gralglas-Vase-Durnau-1967-68-/380425173223?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item58931b78e7

Astrid

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
:mr.green:
Lovely piece and I´m sure it´s Wiedmann, possibly with Habermeier. The shape is also
known with the ´Pavona´ decoration. Unfortunately I can´t recall the name ´Atlanta´.
If it´s covered in the Gralglas book it may only be in the accompanying CD. Again -
unfortunately the book doesn´t show too many Unikat pieces....  :(
Another ressource for attribution of this range may be the catalogue of the Wiedmann
exhibition in the Augustiner-Museum. Another book I haven´t managed to get hold of
yet.
Both ´Atlanta´ and ´Pavona´ are still missing in my collection. But I´ll have to wait for
an opportunity to get them for a good price.
And I´ll need ´Herbstwald´ and ´Stahlwolle´...  ;D
But I won´t complain - even if it can´t be seen in my album yet, the collection has grown
nicely and when I´m finished with my move and find the time to take some pictures
I´ll add them.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
Thank you Astrid & Dirk for your speedy responses. I am amazed that you found a picture of an identical piece so quickly, having looked for two years myself. Now that is what I call teamwork. I will change the description on my site and add a thanks. Is it worth starting a new thread as it seems to be pretty conclusive from your answers.
Regards & thanks
Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand