No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemiam carafe & shot glass w/gems repair? or poor quality?  (Read 420 times)

Offline geo

• Members
Bohemiam carafe & shot glass w/gems repair? or poor quality?
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:22:06 AM »
Hi need some advice. I have a limited knowledge base on glass so I was hoping someone here might help. 1st this set most probably was from my grandparents and probably brought from Russia around 1912 or purchased here after, although I inherited from my father but I know he never would have purchased it, lol was strictly into modern but only kept it because it was my grandparents.

OK so now I'm going thru some of the stuff I put in storage and forgot about this lovely set. First thing I noticed was on one of the shot glass's 2 crystal beads are missing and at closer examination I noticed a lot of glue around the stones on all the pieces and their irregularly place. So either over time stone's may have been reglued or it came that way? Is this typical of this type of glass? or just poorly made? If not for the fact it was handed down I would think the stones were added to make it look more valuable. Anyone have an opinion? .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Bohemiam carafe & shot glass w/gems repair? or poor quality?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:39:23 AM »
These always were of shoddy quality even when they were new in the 1940s 0r 50s. The maker is Bormioli of Parma, Italy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline geo

• Members
Re: Bohemiam carafe & shot glass w/gems repair? or poor quality?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:38:57 AM »
These always were of shoddy quality even when they were new in the 1940s 0r 50s. The maker is Bormioli of Parma, Italy.

WoW Thanks soooo much :-*. I assumed it was Czech by the color of blue. Probably 40's as my grandmother passed in the late 50's  and she was in her 90's so I don't think she was doing much shopping then.  Any idea were I can match up the 2 stones to replace the missing one's?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand