No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Saint Graal Silver Overlay Lamp  (Read 978 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Saint Graal Silver Overlay Lamp
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »
This one is probably impossible to specifically attribute to a single source, but I figured I would post it. Got it Monday at a home sale where lady moved into an assisted living center (she was 84) & her neice was selling (downsizing) some of her things. Lady made notes which were pretty accurate & although there was little glass her neice said they had a glass lamp from France her aunt's mother purchased in Paris in 1932. The lamp had been restored just a couple of years ago because old cloth cord was frayed & one socket didn't work anymore. I'll admit when looking it over that I was skeptical until I ran into old badly faded part foil label that read (I had to use my loop to read it)  Saint Graal France, Argent 980%. Neice didn't know of the label until I showed it to her although you really could not read it unless you used a loop. I did take it apart & glass is 3/8" thick, silver is in six panels & has two scenes repeated around the lamp. Silver is very heavy & appears to be a bit on the Deco side in design (strange birds & butterfly). I know Sterling is .925 so I am assuming .980 is fairly high. I've tried some research & have come up empty, not terribly suprised though as there doen't seem to be much out there on Graal glass. Anyway all responses are appreciated & thanks for looking. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand