No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to identify Pair of Pink Opaque Glass Epergnes  (Read 631 times)

Offline Ariete

• Members
Help to identify Pair of Pink Opaque Glass Epergnes
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »
I have a pair of beautiful pale pink Milk Glass Epergnes and I am trying to find out who made them. Each epergne has a flared bulb form top with a raised lip around the opening and then it tapers down to a narrow point. It fits into a metal holder that has 6 flat narrow brass strips with small stamped four-leaf clover designs on it. Each strip splays out from the vertical holder creating a 'flat support foot' that rests on top of an octagonal pink milk glass base with feet. The metal holder is attached to the glass base with something similar to a threaded lamp nipple. The glass vase measures 6 3/4" high, the metal holder measures 2 7/8" high from the top of the glass base. The base measures 4" across X 3/4" at each octagonal corner and 1/2" at the space between the feet. Any help in identifying the maker and age of this set would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help to identify Pair of Pink Opaque Glass Epergnes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:46:34 PM »
Hello Ariete - and welcome to the GMB.    These look interesting pieces, although regret I can't really help with anything positive.   It's just possible it might help people here if you tell us where on the globe you are, and where these were acquired from.          Just some thoughts...when you say milk glass, are these really only opaque pinky/white glass, or by any remote chance might they be opalescent/opaline.    The bulbous shape of the 'vase' looks nouveau to me, but that doesn't guarantee they were made at the turn of the century to 1915 -  possibly copying a slightly earlier style, but to my ignorant eyes the design (of the vases especially) has a Continental look.
Then again, the four leaf clover might mean Ireland perhaps. ;)
Let's hope someone with real knowedge is able to help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ariete

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:42:42 PM »
Thank you for the response. I currently live in Palm Springs, CA and these items were purchased in Texas over 20 years ago. The glass is more like Crown Tuscan in color, but I'm fairly sure it isn't cambridge. I have no idea if they were originally bought in this country or not. There are no markings of any kind - not even on the metal.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:12:11 AM »
Pretty sure these are U.S. as I've seen them before. Pink opaque is close to Jeanette's shell pink, but I'm not sure they are Jeanette. This exact base was also used as a vanity lamp base during late 20's & early 30's.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand