No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Bohemian looking' iridescent threaded caddy or jar  (Read 948 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
'Bohemian looking' iridescent threaded caddy or jar
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
Well I assume it is a tea caddy (there are two of them), I guess the lid is too small for a biscuit barrel. I have been trying to identify the maker from the decor but have found nothing conclusive so far.

A clear glass body with coloured chips marvered in, trailed decoration and iridescent finish, the metal fittings I can only describe as tin (no markings). It stands about 16cm tall and 10cm square.

Any ideas?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: 'Bohemian looking' iridescent threaded caddy or jar
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »
A couple showing the iridescence:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »
Looks like a Kralik oil spot  ???

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »
Thanks Christine. It could well be but I found it hard to make a positive ID from the photos I have found, none seem to have quite this colour combination or the detail needed for me to be confident about it being the same production process. The chips have not been completely marvered in, in places you can feel a slight texture as a result.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
John I haven't looked but I sometimes find that checking Alfredo's inkwells for things like this can be helpful strangely.  I don't know why but sometimes seeing a decor in a smaller shape helps to clarify it....mmm maybe it's just me ;D but might be worth looking at them anyway to see if you can see a similarity between them and your jar (which I love btw).
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »
Thanks m, although I had already had a look that is an interesting point about the smaller examples,  Alfredo does show inkwells in oil spot (red and blue).

If I knew you could just feel some of the the chips on those examples I would be happier. There are quite a few bits of Kralik to be found which have trailed decoration in the same aubergine/brown glass. Perhaps I am being over cautious.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »
I have two pieces where you can feel the texture, but they don't look as raised as yours.
pics attached - this one named 'green papillon' is I think actually Loetz oilspot or so it seemed from Alfredo's site if I remember.  The other is my powder box which has more spread out spots.
Can't find a pic of that at the mo though.
oooh, actually yours reminds me of Loetz Cisele !  or maybe a Kralik variant if their is one?
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:39:56 PM »
Interesting possibility m, both Loetz Cisele and Papillon seem to have little texture, I have handled a bit of Papillon and that is how I remember it.

A difference with this bit seems to be that the 'spots' are in two colours, green and brown, other examples appear to be single colour.

Edited to add: apart from Kralik's Multi Coloured Oil Spot... http://www.kralik-glass.com/kralikoilspotmulticolorarray.html

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
could it be Glasfabrik Elizabeth?  I found some pieces in my Millers book that looked a similar effect then looking it up on the net I found this.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8742524
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
That's interesting m thank you, just had a look in Judith Millers' 20th Century Glass too, Glasfabrik Elizabeth aka Pallme Koenig. Is it a case of attributing anything with trailing to PK? The auction blurb claims a reference at the Passau Museum which is interesting but I have read that some of their attributions have been questioned.

Either way, that tea caddy in the auction is the same maker I reckon, same cut off corners, etc, etc. After another trawl around looking at PK images, if I had to choose one or the other now, I would just hedge my bets towards Kralik but not by much. Which basically means I am still ???.

But enjoying the ride!

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand