No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beautiful antique glass bowl ???!  (Read 599 times)

Offline Novasonic

• Members
Beautiful antique glass bowl ???!
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »
Hi

I found this little bowl today, 6 1/4" diameter and 2 3/4" high - it looks hand blown as it's not perfectly circular with a broken pontil scar on the base - the decoration is within the glass.  there are lines of tiny bubbles within the glass also 

It looks quite old to me, but I am no exprt on this type of glass - does anyone have any ideas ???

Many Thanks

Rob

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Beautiful antique glass bowl ???!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Bravo that is indeed a beautiful bowl made in the Latticino technique. I'm not able to say if it is old or new Venetian - it could be 17th century or it could be 1920s. But beautiful it is...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Novasonic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
Great thanks ! I bought it for £1.99 so it was worth a punt then ! - any pointers as to how I find out more ?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
google images has tons of information.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:37:11 AM »
My first piece of glass(back in 1980 or so) was a nice little Latticino vine leaf.  I could not find out anything about it so I took it to the art Gallery of Victoria(Australia) where I live and was told it was a modern copy of earlier Murano.  The reason it was modern is that it is very thin, say about 1mm.  They pointed out that old pieces tended to be thicker as the earlier glass was less runny and thus could not be drawn out so easily.  Whatever, it is a spectacularly, lovely piece and congatulations on such an excellent purchase price.  Just call me Mr Green in the home office

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Novasonic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
 :)

Thanks - yours is much more elaborate than mine ! - my bowl is 2-3mm thick at the rim, my real passion is Whitefriars & dartington glass so I know little about this type of glass - particularly how to date it !

Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand