No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: biomorphic sommerso bowl any clues? IKEA repro?  (Read 535 times)

Offline scavo

• Members
biomorphic sommerso bowl any clues? IKEA repro?
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »
I've posted a few different sommerso freeforms lately and am getting used to them being generic.

I've also learnt that IKEA bought in some - or perhaps commissioned them - but not the same as I've seen so far (?)

Today's find has a slightly different base to the others I've shown.
the base seems to be inverted, but not like a polished pontil. The base is polished flat and the edges are beveled.

Aprox 8" high and 7 across.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: biomorphic sommerso bowl any clues? IKEA repro?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »
Very tricky to find a maker for this one, Bayel may be another possibility. A fairly generic shape these days, it may have been inspired by Paul Kedelv's designs for Flygsfors.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
I certainly agree to the 'inspired by' but I don't think there is enough weight to be the real thing. I suspected French and back in the 1980s that used to be the general consensus. I didn't know the name so thanks for dropping that one in. I did a search and found another I have so that is a possible ID I wasn't expecting. The photo of the base to mine is not very illustrative of the real thing but it is very much like this http://www.botterweg.com/Auction/Bid/tabid/59/auctionid/13/lotid/2654/language/en-US/Default.aspx without the etch.

Thanks, that two strongly possible birds with one stone.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:45 PM »
Lovely MOD could you pls add 'is it Bayel?' to the title and possibly remove the IKEA. Thank you. You are so nice!

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »
I don't think this is IKEA - I agree it is very difficult to attribute, I have a fair few such forms - The shape is Murano like but the colour is a bit Scandi - I have one form similar but with different colours that turned out to Davidsons of UK and anothet that was ICET - though I'm not suggesting yours is.

Adam

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
I've though about Davidsons for another piece I have asked about on here. The base is kind of similar to those done by Bayel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand