No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Mark  (Read 1277 times)

Offline glass collector

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Glass Mark
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
Many thanks to vintage rose for helping me to post photos. I recently bought a cream vase which is of Scandinavian style but I can't identify the mark on it. Any help would be appreciated

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Glass Mark
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
hello, we seem to have two people using the tag line...."I'm new, please be gentle"  -  you're not Hugo's brother/sister by any chance, are you? :)          It can be helpful, sometimes, if we know the location from which the the request comes - to know the country is adequate.

That said, regret I don't have the answer you want, other than to say that the GMB does have its own marks and labels section, which is shown on the main page as  'Glass Reference Websites'.       Your label shows a stylized thick upper case 'R' which has a similarity to the label for the Finnish factory Riihimaki - although your label shows what is in effect only half of the Finnish mark which is a back to back stylized 'R'.
So I doubt that your label is anything to do with Riihimaki - just that it had some similarity.    From which country did you acquire this piece?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »
Paul!
The "I'm new please be gentle" is a new feature of the board to stop people being curt and uncivil to newbees, and to be sure you say hello.

Hiya glasscollector and welcome to the board.
The vase you show us has a sales tag in $$ so we assume you are from the U S of A.  The sticker does not look like anything we hold on record - but hopefully one of our members will recognise it.

Personally I would like to see a full attribution if it has a price tag of $89 - you cannot hope to sell anything if you don't know what it is or what it's worth....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:35 PM »
 ;D
Some folk buy glass to keep, Ivo!
Welcome, glass collector - I'm a glass collector too.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
hello glass collector, apologies  - obviously I'm ignorant of the Board's new policies ;)  -  all I can say is that it wouldn't occur to me to be curt or uncivil, whether it was your first occasion or your last.        We all hope you enjoy your time with the GMB. :)
P.S.     I'm a glass collector too ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »
Wow, that makes three of us!

Obviously, Paul, you were being far too intellectual, disseminating busily on matters of import, 8)
rather than reading the latest updates on how the board is being tweaked here and there to get it all operating as it should.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glass collector

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 03:22:26 AM »
thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
Paul, I wasn't aware that "I'm new, please be gentle" was a tag line. From the posts it seems this appears with all new posts. Thanks for your gracious words. I've looked through the Riihimaki marks and this isn't like any of them.
The price tag doesn't relate to this vase but isn't US dollars.
As a collector I'm keen to know the identity mark. The vase is also signed but the writing is very difficult to make out.

Offline glass collector

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 03:58:36 AM »
I should have said the signature appears etched and is in cursive writing and looks something like a stylised Wim Uticon, with the U crossed by the t

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »
In that case you are not talking about the label and so we need to see a picture of the signature please.

Offline glass collector

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:06:20 AM »
The signature hasn't photographed clearly enough to be visible in the post. The label mark indicates the maker but I have not been able to identify that company

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand