No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID Vaseline Glass Buddha  (Read 6088 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Help ID Vaseline Glass Buddha
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:49:55 AM »
Help please to ID the vaseline glass Buddha.

I have had this for several weeks and first thought it may be Cambridge glass as I bought it from a seller who also sold me a Cambridge glass vaseline geisha girl figure.

I now know its not Cambridge glass or Gillinder and Sons but cannot find an ID for it.

The figure stands 7.25" or 18.5 cm in height and weighs 1875 gm. There is also quite a lot of ware to the base.

Thanks for any help

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Re: Help ID Vaseline Glass Buddha
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
Roy
I have NEVER seen this Buddha before in 15 years of studying, searching, collecting, buying, etc.  I have never even seen a photo of it.

If I have not seen it in 15 years, you can honesty use the wording of 'rare' (I know.....waaaaay to overused, but in this case, it is true).

Dave
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
But uranium glass is still being made - (I believe a major source of the metal is Japan) it could well be brand new and mass produced - particularly given the subject matter.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
Roy mentioned wear to the base - so maybe not so new . . .
Nancy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »
Wear can appear on a base quite quickly, (especially if encouraged  >:( ) .

But uranium glass has not stopped being made - so it could be a few years old - 5 or 10, maybe.

For example, a student at Edinburgh College has made wonderful moulded Uranuim glass trolls, with dreamcatchers stuck on their heads. I saw one at the conference a couple of years ago.
(I didn't buy it - and bitterly regret it. M would have had a fit at the luminous pink bits in the dreamcatcher).
But I imagine Mr Vaselineglass probably hasn't seen one of these either.
I'm not being rude - Mr. Vaselineglass - it's simply that your research has, I assume concentrated mostly on older works and possibly not on this sort of contemporary glass.
(I'm not forgetting the fabulous fish goblet - I could never, ever forget the fabulous fish goblet - but that's an individually made artist piece - not moulded.  ;D )

I don't know if it really, really is brand new. I'm just very, very, very suspicious.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »
Sue
My glass research goes from 1840-ish to the present, and covers art glass, pressed glass, mold blown, individual artisan glass, utility glass (like railroad signal lights or stage lights), etc.  I write a newsletter for our vaseline glass club, so I am always on the lookout for fresh story ideas.  Your example of the student at Edinburgh college making dreamcatchers?  NO, I have not seen that, but that fits under the same category as my fish goblet....an individual artisan design.

When a mold is made, it costs a lot of money.  That mold is not going to be used just a few times.  You mention Japan as a possible source of new production.    There is now the world's only uranium glass museum in the southern part of Japan, and they actually make some vaseline glass there.  They have large annual conventions, and the general public just comes through by the 1000s to see their exhibits.  (at our convention, even with local press, we might have 2 or 3 curious souls who happen to be in the hotel and wander through our exhibit).

While the websites that feature photos of those conventions use an English translator, it is possible to figure out what information is trying to be conveyed.  I have not seen one of this style of buddha in any of those photos either. 

(p.s.  did you know that there were UK vehicle headlight lenses that were once made out of yellow uranium glass?)  My depth of knowledge on vaseline/uranium glass may have a few gaps in it here and there, and everyone can point out obscure minutia facts (like car headlights, or students at Edinburgh college), I have reached a point where if something was mass produced, I would  have heard about it, even if it was made within the last 5-10 years.  Heck, I usually hear about it from someone if it was made last month! LOL !!  I don't always know who made something or when it was made, but at least I have seen a previous example....and this was is new to me.  Roy knew the point I was trying to make. 

Regarding current uranium glass production:  Japan is dabbling in glass production through their new museum, but I don't see a lot coming out of Japan.  The majority of stuff being made now (world-wide) is in the Czech Republic.  There are individual artisans who are buying blanks and doing nice representations of old Biedermeier era cut glass work in vaseline.  There are tons of buttons and beads in uranium glass coming out of Czech Republic.

In the USA, Fenton is now auctioning off everything, including their equipment, their name, their proprietary information, etc.  Boyd Glass has stopped glass production and will sell off their inventory until it is gone.  Pairpoint is still making cup plates if special ordered.  I have not heard that Mosser has shut down, but Mosser is probably the only US maker who still might be making it in the future in the USA. 

I am also suspicious of new glass, but also glad to see it when it comes on the marketplace, as it means that someone thought there was enough interest in my favorite glass to take a chance on making a large investment.  To buy a pound of uranium dioxide salts to make a batch of glass is about $1700 USD, and as it takes 1-2% of total batch weight to make a nice uranium glass, that is only a 50-100 pound batch.  Add to that the enormous cost of the natural gas to melt the batch, and it adds up very quickly. 

The Japanese influence on glass was very big in the 1920s.  Both Gillander and Cambridge made Buddhas.  There is also a geisha made by Cambridge. I have also seen another geisha made from vaseline glass that is different from the Cambridge version.  Other companies also made other patterns that had a Japanese influence to them during that time period and the glass was distributed world wide.  My first impression is that this piece was made during that 1920s time period.

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
Thganks David and Sue

I would agree with David on the age unless proved other wise.

I agree its possible to age the base if you wanted , but there is a small chip and some nibbles along the edge of the back of the base.

The item was bought by a dealer who also bought a Cambridge glass geisher girl from the same person which in its self does not mean a lot, I bought the geisha girl myself , the colour of both pieces was very similar. I rember when buying the buddha being told it had came with a geisha girl which I knew was correct thats why I first thought of Cambridge glass

I have also looked on the web for another one , the only one I could find was a completed item on ebay which did not sell. I am 99% sure that the one I bought is the same one as it described the small amount of damage .

I would have thought if mass produced it would be quite easy to find an image of another, most buddha's that seem to be made today are out of jade

A picture of the geisha girl below.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/mhgcgolfclub/clothes/?action=view&current=sha9.jpg

Thanks again

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
I stand corrected!
Thank-you for your resume, Mr. Vaselineglass. My interest in this stuff has only recently been seriously piqued (it's all Christine's fault) - but I'm still only skirting around the edges.  :-[

It was the cast troll (with dreamcatcher hair) that made me realise there was a possibility that such a thing might be new - particularly with the contemporary fad there is for buddahs.
(And the student had got her uranium glass from Japan.)
I am aware of the contemporary Desna uranuim bits - I've even got a "Grape Harvest".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
Roy
the geisha?  I have seen that geisha attached to a stand, and then there was a pipe that ran up behind her back and ended in a lamp fixture. 

Dave

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »
The other point about modern uranium glass is that it tends to be yellow (or custard), i.e., for its glorious colour, rather giving an uplift to green.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand