No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID Vaseline Glass Buddha  (Read 6087 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Help ID Vaseline Glass Buddha
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
What a great story.  :)
Welcome and thank-you very much for joining to show us your very unusual treasure and telling the history.
It's beautiful picture you've taken - the light shows it off at its best.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »
wuliechsin: Your piece is actually what I would consider to be very important piece of Cambridge history. Your large Buddha is actually a marriage of the figure & the base which is Cambridge Ivory & is the base to  a Cambridge Ivory one or two bun Geisha flower frog. You see the Buddha(s) both small & large were never flower frogs, however over the years two large Buddhas have surfaced with the Geisha base & both were dismissed as simply clever "marriages" by someone, however in light of yours & the fact Cambridge was always experimenting I am left to believe that in fact this was a factory experiment.

I am asking if you would please consider emailing me as I would like with your permission to write an article for the monthly Cambridge Crystal Ball magazine which would profile your story with the names of all your family who worked in the copper shop & the picture of your Buddha. To email me simply click on my board ID of Ohio & you will find my email address. I am a long standing (over two decades) NCC (National Cambridge Collectors) member & have written multiple article over the years for the Cambridge Crystal Ball.  This is an important piece of Cambridge history. Thanks, Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline hlewbel

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 05:49:05 AM »
I just came across this thread via a net search. Thank you - it was very informative. I've also got one of these Cambridge buddha lamps that's got green glass (assumedly uranium glass based on this thread). How do I find out more about it and is anyone collecting who could give me an approx value? Is there a Cambridge glass museum still in Cambridge, OH and would anyone want photos of it for the museum? I'm not sure how rare it is -- online I've seen some photos of amber and clear versions, but not green. This seemed like a good place to inquire. Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
The large & small Buddha(s) are simply uncommon...not rare or scarce. We cannot discuss values here so I suggest you check on line for prices. Yes the Cambridge Glass Museum is in Cambridge & we there are several Buddha(s) on display. Your green one is probably Light Emerald although another company (Gillinder)  also made large & small Buddha(s), however the Gilinder small Buddha does not have the top knot nor large earrings like the Cambridge large Buddha & both sizes of Gillinder Buddha(s) look alike, one is simply larger than the other while the large Cambridge Buddha is far different than the small Cambridge Buddha. Also the Gillinder Buddha(s) have a well defined base they sit on while neither size Cambridge Buddha(s) have a base since they was used (the majority of time) as a lamp figurine. The were largely produced in the mid 20s until 1930 in decent production numbers.

I will add they loosely fall under the category of "religious" figures & that has always held down their values a bit...same thing applies to many 'religious" based figures produced by Fostoria.  Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand