No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Muspratt's Chemistry 1860 article on glass and glassmaking  (Read 463 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Just a notice for a an interesting article I found from circa 1860, from Muspratt's Chemistry, a two volume set. He was then Professor of Chemistry at Liverpool University and the article has interesting engravings of glassmaking techniques of several kinds, pictures of contemporary furnace apparatus etc...

I have put it on picasa, https://picasaweb.google.com/RobertLBJ/MUSPRATTSCHEMISTRYCIRCA1860Glass

please let me know if there are any display problems etc......

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Muspratt's Chemistry 1860 article on glass and glassmaking
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »
thanks Robert  -  although regret the text is illegible on my screen.       If I take the magnificaiton to 300/400% it just blurs the words - although the line drawings/engravings are o.k.                      How are you seeing this on your screen??   :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
Thx Paul, on zoom it is ok on my computer but the only way I could get the words legible was to use big files, maybe the blur you have seen is loading time ......... thanks for the feedback, if others find it problematic I will take it down and try to get some technical advice, I tried smaller files and the quality was too poor to read.... so I set it up that the zoom was the way to read it........

Robert (bOBA)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
Fine here, quite legible. I have Picasa photos software on my PC and the zoom works well on your photos Robert, it may be that Picasa and Picasa dovetail well...if you see what I mean.

John

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:21 PM »
Thx John,
good to hear the text is visible, a couple of folks have also let me know it is OK so I will leave it up for a bit, it may be of some interest for folks, some of the tools, recipes etc haven't changed much! thanks again,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
you must make allowances for some of us older idiots  -  however, thanks to assistance from one of my sons, I've now downloaded the Picasa Photo programme - and I can now zoom on the text of Robert's pages, and all is o.k.         Also approve of some of the non glass pix on Roberts album  -  much better than looking at glass ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand