No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fish Etching.  (Read 3684 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Fish Etching.
« on: March 25, 2006, 05:08:41 PM »
Hi Y'all.,
Nice little booty find today although I did not think it at the time. I purchased a boxed set of Caithness goblets because it was only £2 and because I thought the engraving was spectacular. The seller explained that both the goblets had cracks but would still display well. I just passed a glance at both "cracks" and still thought they were cheap at the price because one they came with the box, that I could possibly use for something else and two they also had a facimile hand written note from the Etcher, one Denis Mann, stating that they were a limited edition of just 50 and signed for 1975. Both goblets were signed and dated on the base by the maker, there was also a Caithness sticker.
Anyway, off home I toddled. Opened the box and was amazed and delighted to find that neither was cracked at all, the apparent cracks were the fishing line running from the fishes ( brown Trout) mouth, in fact I cannot find so much as sand grain of damage  :o . So I am extatic. :D :D  :D  
The question I would like to ask is does anyone have any idea what these might be worth and who is Denis Farquhar Mann.
Please take a butchers at the goblets.
http://i2.tinypic.com/s63hg2.jpg
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Fish Etching.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 05:12:58 PM »
I am not a man

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Fish Etching.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 06:13:23 PM »
WOW!!!!! I'm shaking Max. :shock:  
That's fantastic, I was thinking £50 maybe with £100 as a far fetched chance, but £399 that's incredible. I know it has not been sold yet but I can see there have been loads of hits.
I thought I had scoured Ebay before listing on the board. I probably missed it because it was a Buy me now item. I've put that firmly on my watch list now.
That's my best glass buy ever.
Thanks so much for the info. :D
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's LESS of a minefield out there now!" :mrgreen:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Fish Etching.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 06:24:19 PM »
WOW!!!!! I'm shaking Max.  

lol  Bryn, I was quite surprised at the price myself!  :wink:

Try Googling 'Denis Mann Caithness'.  See if you can find out anything else.   :)
I am not a man

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Fish Etching.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 07:19:38 PM »
Quite a lot on him through Google Max, apparently he was the engraver for the BBC Mastermind Trophy even has his own Web site www.denismann.com WOW!!! WOW!!!  :shock:  :D
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there! :mrgreen: "

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Fish Etching.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 07:50:57 PM »
Hi Bryn,

Well done! Could I please ask you for a shot against a plain bacground for the new Caithness section on the site.

I need someone to gather info on Caithness glassware too... volunteers to become The Caithness person (Man or Woman or both!). I will be completely in the background on this effort :)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Fish Etching.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 08:07:02 PM »
Hi Frank,
Yes of course, I shall do one for you tomorrow. The one I took today was a bit rushed in fading light just to get it to the board.
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

"There may just be a path through that minefield! :mrgreen:

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Fish Etching.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »
Hi Frank,
Here's the picture you wanted plus one other showing the signiture and the edition number and date. Hope they are OK. I can also send a copy of the leaflet enclosed which gives details of the item's provinence and also the artists profile etc, if that is allowed. Just let me know.

http://i2.tinypic.com/sbqxwz.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/sbqzw7.jpg

Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Fish Etching.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 05:26:12 PM »
Thank you Bryn, please email a copy of the leaflet thank you.

email button at foot of this message.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum