No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fenton Dolphin in Neodymium glass? Is this possible?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Tezlar76

• Members
Fenton Dolphin in Neodymium glass? Is this possible?
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »
I have been confused by this dish for a while now- The only info I could find is that Fenton had produced a color they called Wisteria and used it in production in 1977 -78. I had also read that the use of Wisteria was limited to ten specific patterns. The Wisteria color is not supposed to change that drastically from one light source to the next and was not (according to the info I dug up) used in the Dolphin patterned pieces. So one obvious question is, Is this actually Wisteria or some other color I'm not familiar with? Or was someone at the factory "experimenting" with neodymium oxide?  I have zero experience with Neodymium glass, but I can't think of anything else this could be. The color looks very rich and pink-ish in natural light, and then almost clear with a blue-green hue in fluorescent light (and the Fenton logo is stamped into the bottom of the dish). Any info you all have would be greatly appreciated!

I have included some photos taken under a variety of lighting, I apologize for the quality as I'm no expert photographer either :)

Thanks so much for your time!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Fenton Dolphin in Neodymium glass? Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:34:03 AM »
You will probably have to wait on Dr. Measell, however Fenton Wisteria has two dates, one in the 30's & in the 70's & it was used in the Dolphin handled bowls in the 30's. If you piece is not marked Fenton then it could be from the 30's & perhaps back then it did react to lighting conditions. Thats a question Dr. Measell can answer.  Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tezlar76

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:10:47 AM »
Hi Ken, I really appreciate your info- The bottom of the dish is indeed marked with the Fenton logo.

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
The fourth photo (showing pink in natural light) plus the Fenton 1980s logo with that tiny "8" tell me that this is our Dusty Rose color. It's dichroic and contains neodymium. Dusty Rose was a very popular color, made from 1983-84 into the mid-1990s.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Tezlar76

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
Good Morning Mr. Measell, I'm sorry if my "pink-ish" statement was misleading. The dish is definitely purple. I actually took it outside in direct sunlight to photograph it this morning. Is the Fenton "Rose" color actually a purple color??

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »
Dusty Rose is indeed pink in natural light and incandescent light. I suspect your piece is our transparent Lilac, made in the early 1980s for a short time.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Tezlar76

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:15:39 AM »
Is the Lilac dichroic as well? The color change under fluorescent lighting is so drastic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand