No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19th century 'onion' decanter  (Read 1538 times)

Offline scavo

• Members
19th century 'onion' decanter
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
The cutting, especially the laddering on the neck makes me think this is 19th century crystal.

I believe the shape is known as 'onion'.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: 9th century 'onion' decanter
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
you might want to adapt your title  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline scavo

• Members
Re: 19th century 'onion' decanter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
indeed! 9th century it may well have been onion wine!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
ROFL

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »
Just picked this one up again and noticed a 157 engraved low down on the body. The numeral style is European.

I believe a number is a possible indicator of quality. Is it a cutter's or polisher's mark?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
you should find a matching No. somewhere on the stopper  -  try first on the blunt end - or the shaft of the stopper.       It sounds an unusually high No., will you please just double check to make sure  -  and when you say Continental, assume the seven has a slash.
The No. has nothing to do with quality - although matching Nos. are usually found on quality decanters only.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
if you use the search facility, and shove in something like 'matching Nos. for decanters' - or similar - you should get some information because we've discussed this matter recently I seem to recall - one of them was yours I remember :)
Your 'laddering' is indeed a C19 decorative feature - although correctly I belive it's called 'saw tooth edging'  -  not easy to see in you pictures, and you may want to provide a closer shot for people to see.
Quality images of clear glass are difficult to produce, but you will almost certainly do better if you provide more contrast - a darker background will help.
I doubt that you'll find out more than we've already discussed, unfortunately.     Are you satisfied the stopper is a correct match?   So many decanters have the wrong one.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »
... 'matching Nos. for decanters' - or similar - ...
... 'laddering' is indeed a C19 decorative feature - although correctly I belive it's called 'saw tooth edging'  -  ...
Thanks for the reminder, Paul:  former, yes, and they match! Correction about the latter, I am SURE you are right.

Does this help date/place it?

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
19th century?? Possibly, however.......

If the laddering you are referring to, is actually the facet cut and polished neck, then that was used throughout the 20th century and even in this century. On the other hand if I'm missing small cuts on the apex between the facets, then that also was used well into the 20th century.

The shape can be anywhere within the 20th century too, as could the cutting, since so many makers (throughout the world) hung onto outdated cutting/designs.

It is now all to obvious that that is why so many companies are no longer with us - not looking to the future and re-appraising their wares. Of course during this century there is also the pressure of Chinese and Indian glass (amongst others) undercutting (pardon the pun) the price that can be achieved by many of the longer running companies that are left  :(

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
One of the few very useful books I don't have is the Andy McConnell book on decanters - which nowadays seems to be fetching big money, unfortunately, although whether this would help with your piece I really don't know.    I suspect any help would be limited in this instance, as your example is probably a common late C19/C20 type - which, incidentally, is also known as a shaft and globe shape and would have been for sherry, which am sure you knew.
However - glad you found the matching No. - but have to say that I'm truly surprised it's that high numerically  -  we had a brief discussion here recently about matching Nos., and must admit I've not seen anything hight than something in the 70's  -  perhaps someone had a busy day!

Decanters aren't really my thing - footprint is big and they seem to be even less identifiable than drinking glasses, so knowledge is limited but can say that this saw tooth feature seems to have come in around 1840 - 50 and certainly went into the C20.........it's a type of decoration that you've probably also seen on drinking glass stems - often sherry and port glasses - also on those tall hock glasses, the ones where the bowl is cased in colour (maybe eastern European in origin), so as a feature not reliable for a narrow date.

You don't mention wear - and difficult to date on picture alone, but could be anywhere from 1880 - 1930 ish.        Sherry decanters from the second half of the C19 were decorated often by means of wheel engraving (although this one is simply 'cut'), and vine leaves with bunches of grapes was a common form of decoration.         Look at the colour of the glass  -  if it looks very white and bright, it might well be much later still.            Nice to see the strawberry diamonds - although they don't help date the piece - and no lack of skill in producing long curved mitres like these.           If this is period, there should be a lot of matt wear on the base - if wear is lacking then it's going to be much later.       Also, if the overall condition is very good, then possibly not old, decanters tend to suffer wear and show chips (glass hitting glass causes damage).
I mis-interpreted your use of the word European (and assumed you meant Continental) - what did you meant by European? :)  Does the 7 have a slash?

Shove in some sherry - just admire it (then drink some). :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand