No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Trying to ID maker of a pair of floral engraved cordial ? glasses  (Read 594 times)

Offline user9318

• Members
I have a pair of floral engraved, what I think are cordial glasses, that I have been unable to find a match anywhere to ID the maker and age of the glasses.

They have a long stem and flat base, no pontil mark

The glasses are 18.2cm tall and have a top rim diameter of 8.1cm, foot diameter is 8.1cm

Any help in the ID and age of these glasses is much appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline user9318

• Members
Re: Trying to ID maker of a pair of floral engraved cordial ? glasses
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:07:02 AM »
Close up of part of the floral engraving

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »
Hi ,
       This would appear to be a fairly modern reproduction of a mid 18th century Jacobite Wine glass , the engraving of the rose and oak leaves indicate this , you say it has no pontil mark(check for a rough spot underneath the foot inside the domed section) presence of a pontil though still does not confirm it to be a period glass just a hand made 1 ,the glass looks very clear and bright and I suspect  it's possibly early 20thc,by whom though I have no idea,Jacobite replicas were made by many glass producers in the  20thc, even with period glasses it is very difficult to determine if the engraving is contemporary with the glass or created yesterday . though the combination of the Rose and Oak leaves on your glass is not a recorded form on 18thc Jacobites.
 Sorry i cant tell you it's a period Jacobite , in that case it would have considerable value .

cheers ,
               Peter.
ps it might help if we know were you are ,US ? UK ?

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »
Thank you for the reply Peter.

I am in the UK.

I cannot see a rough spot, but feeling the underside of the foot again, it does feel like it has been ground out, there is a slight dip at the centre of the foot. Further up the foot, there is an elongated swirl / bubble.

The glass is clear and bright, as you suggest, more likely early 20th century, I certainly did not think hey were as early as the Georgian / Jacobite era.

There are very small bubbles within the glass foot.

Thanks again.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
Hi ,
            from the photos you posted the foot looked as though it may have been a domed foot ,a deep hollow shape to the underneath,though now it sounds more like a flat solid foot possibly with a polished pontil , either way it still sounds like a later reproduction , several companies were responsible for glasses like this in the UK , in the 19thc and into the 20th c , Stevens and Williams , Edinburgh and Leith I think and a few in Stourbridge were known to have made Jacobite copies, yours look to be  very nice examples of there type and being a pair ,even nicer .

cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
Thank you for the help and at least I have some more information to do some more research with than before.

It is nice to have a pair and they are lovely to look at.

Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand