No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Woodchester facon de venise? Anybody know this glass?  (Read 783 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Hi,

I've been trying to identify this glass for a while now.  It's in the Facon de Venise style and I originally thought it was a late 17th century glass but now realise that it is a late 19th or early 20th century reproduction.  It came along with a Whitefriars diamond pattern beaker from the Woodchester range, dating to about 1918.  I was hoping that this might also be a Woodchester glass but can find no record of a propellor knop glass of this type.  Since buying it I've found two more smaller versions.

The glass is 17.5 cm (7 inches) tall, 9.3 cm (3.7 inches) bowl rim diameter and 8.3 cm (3.3 inches) foot diameter.  It is made of some lightweight soda metal but is relatively clear of impurities.  It has a moulded propellor knop and the foot has a rough pontil mark.  The rim of the foot has significant wear to it.

I live in the UK and the glass was bought in the West Country.

Thanks for looking,
Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand