No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cut bowl - possibly Irish/Scottish  (Read 403 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
cut bowl - possibly Irish/Scottish
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »
To my mind doesn't have a typical first half C20 cut bowl look i.e. large geometric mitres with naturalistic forms, and instead has strawberry diamonds and a sort of hobnail cut with a band of slanting blazes towards the base.      The base star has been cut accurately without misalignment (in the centre) and there are 32 points, which Wilkinson says dates to 1840 - 50.    Has a long ring when flicked, and cutting feels sharp.   Lots of wear to the outer edge of base.    Height is about 4.25" - 110mm and diameter a little over 9" - 230mm.           Very few bubbles, but does seem to have far more white stones than you'd expect on a C20 bowl - several quite large ones, and colour of glass is reasonably white.       I've looked at the base of one or two other cut bowls, which appear quite flat or as from a mould, whereas this one shows a 'hammered' effect in the area between the star and edge of the base, which I've seen on my Georgian Anglo-Irish tumblers - signs of grinding the base flat, I believe.
It was a charity shop buy as much for interest of the cutting as the fact that it's virtually undamaged  -  but in view of the style of cutting and perhaps the star, just wondered if it might be something other than English - also is the 32 point star a reliable dating guide, or does that occur also on C20 bowls?   -  does anyone think it might be C19?   -   thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand