No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you help identify? Purple glass drinkware set  (Read 1193 times)

Offline rachycakes

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glassware identification
    • UK
Can you help identify? Purple glass drinkware set
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:03:12 PM »
Hi there,

I wondered if anyone can tell me something about this glassware set?

It consists of one jug and 6 glasses

All I know about it is that it was bought before the 80's

It is a lovely purple or maybe amethyst? colour and has no markings, just an off centre round indent in the base of the jug (see pics)

I must add that the colour does look slightly different now that I have uploaded the pictures

Any info appreciated, thank you :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Can you help identify? Purple glass drinkware set
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:10 PM »
Welcome to the board. The round indent is called the pontil mark and is where the sharp mark left when the jug was removed from the pontil iron is ground away, It indicates it was handmade. Unfortunately jugs are notoriously difficult to ID, you could be looking at Italy, Poland, Germany...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rachycakes

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glassware identification
    • UK
Re: Can you help identify? Purple glass drinkware set
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
Welcome to the board. The round indent is called the pontil mark and is where the sharp mark left when the jug was removed from the pontil iron is ground away, It indicates it was handmade. Unfortunately jugs are notoriously difficult to ID, you could be looking at Italy, Poland, Germany...

Thank you Lustrousstone :)

I thought it may have been hand made, though I do wonder where on earth it came from.

I tried searching though google image and other sites to see if I could find some thing that is the same, have not been able to find anything so far... the search continues!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand