No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this be Czech Bohemian glassware? or crystal?  (Read 496 times)

Offline maurice

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • identification so replacement
    • New Zealand
Could this be Czech Bohemian glassware? or crystal?
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:45:42 AM »
Hi
This now belongs to my wife...previous belonged to her mother from Prague (left Prague 1947) and handed down by her mother in Prague.

We are seeking identification, approx age, approx value and if possible another glass to replace one broken please.

Thanks

Maurice

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Could this be Czech Bohemian glassware? or crystal?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »
Welcome to the board. It looks like something perhaps made by Borske Sklo and 1950s/60s

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:57:32 AM »
hello and welcome from me also........     Am I seeing things, or is that the remnants of a label on the glass??    can't quite make it out, could be wrong. :-\
I'd agree with Lustrousstone - it does look very typical of pieces from that factory - the shape of the stopper and the masses of gold banding etc.       This style of decanter sets seem to have been made mostly after 1950 - and were excessively common and successful for a decade or two  -  they now appear to have become popular again as a retro fashion.
Assuming made over half a century ago, the chances of finding a replacement glass are almost zero I'd have thought  -  the glass replacements companies that offer on the internet don't, to the best of my knowedge, offer this type of material  -  the reason being that there is little commercial value in them, usually.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »
Possibly new when she left Prague. Is it possible to get a clear pic of the label or at least copy out whatever letters are visible.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand