No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stunning Magnifying Glass with Cut Glass Handle - Thoughts?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline pegwellbayantiquities

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
Re: Stunning Magnifying Glass with Cut Glass Handle - Thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 10:02:49 PM »
Haha some interesting comments on this thread :P Well i've brought and sold a lot of silver over the past year due to the boom in precious metal prices and yes while it is true that silver that is not hallmarked/purity mark is technically called 'white metal' this is a term mainly coined by auction houses so that they can put other metals under the umbrella term white metal and flog them on the premise of being silver (little insider info as i've worked for a few auction houses) so watch out ;) Between friends as long as silver is tested then stuff the white metal phrase and stick with the properties of the metal, which cannot lie :)

In turns of a door knob / knife rest, that is an interesting idea - didn't think of the design that way .... nice to know we are getting a 'handle' on things ;) (sorry couldn't resist the pun)! :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell as silver, stuff that isn't hallmarked.
I've never really encountered too much of it. I don't like it and it's fraught with all this sort of nonsense - and the cleaning.  ;D
I bought the forks in a charity shop - because they were *not* silver plated and because they were a nice old-fashioned simple design of fork - the kind of fork I like for using. It was only much later that I bothered investigating them, and then only because they had the jeweller's name on them. I thought to try to find a bit of history or their age - but the (very young) assistant ran off with one, tested it and told me they were solid silver.
He was keen for me to order more to match - at £80 per fork, but sadly, very reluctant to even consider giving me £80 per fork.

I'm completely unsure about any illegalities - I could of course take the forks to get then assayed and marks put on - but the marks would be lying as far as age was concerned and would do nothing for the desirability of the forks for flogging.

I'd probably be best selling them for (tested) scrap.

None of this helps you with your magnifier! All I can suggest is to think of a nice-ish number for a decorative and useful thing and get rid.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »
This applies only to transactions "in the course of a trade or business". Thus it applies to transactions by antique dealers, gift shops, auctioneers, pawnbrokers, etc. But it is no offence for such a description to be applied by a person in a private transaction. But where a person carries on a series of transactions it has been held that those were "in the course of a trade or business".

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/law_infull.html
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 06:02:15 PM »
 8)
Thank-you, Nemmie.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand