No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass bottle - crystal? help?  (Read 444 times)

Offline purpletomcat

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • australia
glass bottle - crystal? help?
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:58:13 AM »
ive had this for ages, it is one of my fave peices id love to know more about it, it has a 21 marked on the bottom sorry the pix are so small
the colours are enameled on

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: glass bottle - crystal? help?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »
attractive bottle, I like it......... sorry but can't offer anything of use though.       The decoration looks good quality - am I seeing some of the enamel colours picked out in gold, and is the enamel thick?        Looks like I can see some wheel engraving toward the bottom of the body.         Unfortunately, you don't give the height, so difficult to make assessment of its possibly use, although if it were in the range of 3" - 5" I'd suggest possibly a dressing table item that might have contained something like cologne or similar.
The degree of wear suggests substantial age, although it might have had a rough life which could accelerate the visible wear.    Assume the second pic is showing a pontil depression with the No. 21.           Did wonder if this was a 'matching No.' for the stopper and body - have a look to see if the stopper carries anything similar  -  otherwise it's probably just a factory pattern/design No.
I could be very wrong, but would suggest European Continental - quite possibly Bohemian or French, and from somewhere between 1880 and 1920.         Would like to hear more about the possible engraving.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline purpletomcat

• Members
    • glass
    • australia
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
theres no number on the stopper, which is hollow tho the glass is very thick  bottle is 6  3/4 inches (17cm) tall  enamelling is fairly thick and yes picked out with gold stopper is 3 3/4 inches (7.5 cm) length, 8 1/2 inches (21 1/2cm) tall with the stopper in   it is worn on the bottom bottle is 2 3/4 (7cm) inches diameter
what looks like engraving is enamelling the bottle is not engraved at all, the decoration is all enameled

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »
thanks, obviously I need a new pair of specs. ;)          Assuming the stopper is a good fit, then I'm tempted to go with the idea of a container for either toilet water/cologne.          Let's hope someone can give more useful information.

Offline purpletomcat

• Members
    • glass
    • australia
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »
the stopper is a nice snug fit  and thankyou for your help im scouring the net for one but its not leaping out at me *sigh* still it has a pace of honour in my little collection, if anyone else can help id love to have an idea of who made it and when to satisfy my own obsessive tendencies :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:50:48 PM »
Obsessive tendencies are rarely satisfied - that's why we call them obsessive - they go on ad infinitum, and collectors are the most obsessive of all people ;)
Not sure that I've really helped, perhaps someone else will be able to add to your enquiry, hopefully.
I doubt very much that you will ever discover who made it - enamelled wares were excessively common both before and after the turn of the 1900 period - but it doesn't matter really - beautiful pieces like this don't lose any desireability just because we might not know the maker.  It's an attractive period find and which, most importantly, you like. :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
Of course there are a few roads to travel when it comes to thick enameling. I am thinking of Laeken crystal Belgium, verrerie de Monaco, Gordiola in Spain. And Kufstein in Austria, pre ww2. M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand