No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fancy Pickles Jar ID help needed!  (Read 1555 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Fancy Pickles Jar ID help needed!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 08:11:24 PM »
 :-[
We are probably being a bit too joke-y for somebody who does not have English as their first language - so;
We're sorry, D. if we've put you to the extra trouble of translating things you don't need to.  :-[

On the other hand, your English is absolutely excellent - I am already planning to adopt your expression of "privatising" objects from eg. cruise liners. It's far better than the one I've heard before, which was "liberating" them.
Not that I approve of pinching things or folk who do it. I just like the expression you used to describe it.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »
Personally (although the shape is very different) I would agree its as labeled...for pickles. At least in the U.S. the hooks are for holding a untensil used to remove the pickle from the bottle. As for the shape I think pickle relish certainly fit as well as small gherkins. Since there are two hooks I am wondering if one held a spoon & one a fork. As for age I suspect its mid 20th century, but from where I have no idea. As for the shape I found  cylindrical pickle jars from both the U.S. & GB. URL shows some from the 20s although the one shown is far more upscale to say the least. 

http://www.sha.org/bottle/Typing/IGCo1920/page94.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mitko07

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 02:00:30 AM »
Hello and sorry for my late response!
Thanks guys for your attention and information!

Sue, my English is OK and getting better - thanks for the compliments!
I live in US for several years now but I am Bulgarian national.
Paul, there are not many white metal alloys that are silver plated and I assume it is alpacca or very similar because it is hard metal.
Here is a picture of plated WMF alpacca mark- i/o is for normal thickness of the plate!
Still hope to find more info regarding the and it looks like it is not going to be easy. Probably I should google it more .
All the best! D.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
thanks D.          I can see the WMF over the upper case G.............and that ostrich running 'hell for leather' ;D.       Wish you luck with your searching. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 03:02:29 PM »
I do pick up the odd piece of EPNS or similar flatware, and found this knife yesterday.        Appreciate we shouldn't post non-glass items here, but it was just in view of the connection with alpacca plating which we'd been discussing - this one has a steel blade inserted into the plated handle.          I assume that Arthur Krupp was the same as the German Engineering giant Krupp  -  just wondered if anyone might put a date to my knife, please, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline mitko07

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »
Hello Paul!
Yes it is the giant Krupp and I believe it is made sometime between 1910 -1920.
The steel blade has a double man mark must have been made in Solingen.
I think that  later flatware made by this company was made in Berndorf, Austria and you can find a lot of theese made during the WW2 period.
this link has an example:
http://www.usmbooks.com/berndorf.html
All the best!D.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 01:14:06 PM »
hello D - my thanks for taking the time to reply, and appreciate your informative reply with link.       Good to have a little more detail on this piece.        We had better leave this one quietly now, as this forum is supposed to be for glass only.       Again, my thanks. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand