No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Soda Glass Rummer -Further Info Sort  (Read 845 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Soda Glass Rummer -Further Info Sort
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
Recently picked this up and was hoping to try and find out a little more info.

It was purchased as a Soda glass rummer and possibly continental in origin. Has quite a few striations in the glass along with a strong green hue. Plenty or wear to the base with snapped pontil mark.

Measures just under 6.5 inches tall and with a rim diameter of 3.5 inches.

Weights 573 grams.

Any thoughts, regarding age and origin etc much appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Soda Glass Rummer -Further Info Sort
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
Looks like recycled glass so Spain or Mexico could be the origin.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
Thanks for taking a look Ivo. It was purchased as having some age rather than being produced from recycled glass, so would be a little disappointing if this is the case, particularly, as it was purchased in good faith and from someone I have purchased from before. I was fairly sure, at least I thought, that the wear to the base was genuine and that it was at least Victorian in date. Perhaps the photos aren't the best, given the light. Although relatively inexpensive, I think I will return for a refund, if it is as you surmise.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
Don' t take my word for it - the pontil mark, the shape and the colour suggest 1970s rather than 1870s.... hope someone else will ID with confidence.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:15:29 PM »
Hi ,
          Yep I am afraid I agree,my instant reaction was recycled glass and yes Spain or Mexico could be the culprits, some of the ware on the foot looks rather bright and lacking ingrained dirt  suggesting the possibility that some "extra" ware may have been added recently, only a thought !!!

These do pop up on eBay now and again and the sellers I believe mistaking what I would call its rustic look to be an antique look .

cheers .
              Peter.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:30:29 PM »
Thanks both for your thoughts, it's not a great result, nevertheless it's good to know. I think I'll pop back for a refund, fingers crossed.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
My guts were thinking Mexico too.
I did buy a set of enormous Mexican recycled glass goblets a long time ago. They're grand for everyday use and I like the rustic-ness and individuality of each one.
I do rather prefer the Allister Malcolm ones "we designed together" along with the claret jug,  ;D  that he then made for me, these days.   ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »
I have seen quite a bit of recycled glass around, however, the base wear on this piece did lead me up the wrong path.  Given the outcome, I'm sure the base at some point must have undergone a degree of post production ageing, to put it politely!
It was originally labelled as a piece of late Waldglas, which I thought may explain the greenish hue, however, you live and learn. I spoke to the chap, who I purchased it off yesterday who was more than happy to give me a refund, which was nice to see, so no harm done and hopefully a lesson learnt. Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand