No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: can anyone confirm if this vase is WMF please?  (Read 4692 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
can anyone confirm if this vase is WMF please?
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresult--wmf-wurttembergische-metallwar-a-vase-1804114.htm
many thanks
It's not a decor I recognise or could spot in the book.
sold apparently at Sotheby's in 2003
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: can anyone confirm if this vase is WMF please?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
Not WMF Ikora -- I just recently learned that this decor should be Ernest Baptiste Léveillé ;)

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
Michael thanks for that - do you have  reference for the EBL identification please?
I think  that I have put on the board that I've seen two signed (EBL) ones in this decor - do you have another source for the ID or have you actually seen one signed please?
I think it is the same decor and colour as this one linked below but that is  unsigned
http://www.ogallerie.com/auctions/2011-01/675.1.jpg
Thanks so much
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:36:07 PM »
Sorry m, I was unable to resist showing off some very peripheral knowledge 8)
So no reference but the internet.

I should have rather said "a decor in the style of Léveillé", as I don't know if other makers may have copied it, and if pieces should be signed or not...

But as neither shape nor decoration are in the Ikora book, at least that option seems highly unlikely.

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »
Thanks Ivo, I've seen lots of those but hadn't found your links - lovely to see them.
I had previously found this signed one
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8116303 - pertinent to me because it is very obviously from the same hand as a  vase I have.

I suppose I'm curious because the signed one I've just linked to here , as well as the Sotheby's one, and the one I own, all seem to be a 'range' if you like - and they seem slightly different in the way the colours have been used, to the pieces such as on Ivo's links.

It's quite probably because they came a in a different period in Leveille's career, perhaps towards the end maybe, whereby the shapes seem somewhat 'more modern' than the era and the use of colours and they way they are applied seem a little different don't you think?
Everything about mine otherwise is 'right', the large polished pontil, the internal decoration over the crackle etc, I know I should just rest the case having found a signed piece so similar to mine - but you know how it is :)

edited to add
Having looked again at some more details, the vase I just linked to here
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8116303
and this vase here
http://www.herr-auktionen.de/kataloge/onlinekatalog/detailansicht/article/vase-5626cfc2e6/?tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=1970&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=01&tx_ttnews%5Bday%5D=01&cHash=e4f1030b466cfe3973d55e02075b1603
have both come from the same collection and both are signed - presumably the owner would have been able to check details and sigs so would I be reasonable in now laying to rest my query and putting a fairly firm id on these vases - including the one linked to first here as having been sold by Sotheby's?

If so I can do a little celebration dance  ;D for my vase

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
Just found another one in 'Glas der Moderne' from the Berlin museum of applied art. They bought their vase directly from Leveillé in Paris in 1890, and there is no signature.  These and similar vases were issued from 1884 by Rousseau - but due to the total absence of documentation a direct attribution to Rousseau or Leveillé is not possible . In any case they were all made by Appert frères in Clichy, where a whole new set of colours was developed ranging from blood red to light violet,  for vases imitating semiprecious stones.  Models were often inspired by far eastern vases.

So you may dance even without a signature

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
 :-* thank you so very much!
m

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »
Here´s mine... One of my biggest ebay disappointments ever. Would have been a real
bargain, but arrived with two large cracks through the base. Either it cracked due to the
terrible packaging or the seller even sold it knowing about the cracks and took the pics
from angles which didn´t show the cracks...
I´ve made my peace with it nevertheless - where else would I have got one for a tenner?  8)

They look unbelievably modern for their time, don´t they?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 11:53:42 PM »
Michael thank you though for taking the time to look and discount WMF :)  it's had the effect of me finally being able to id my vase which is great!
Dirk, I'm sorry - that really would have been the  bargain of all time!!... and it's a beautiful piece, I love the colour combinations of the red on that pale brown.  Thanks for showing it  :)  I'm also interested in the pontil mark as mine has a huge polished pontil.
 Yes I am totally amazed at  the intricacy of the creation of the vases and also the superb colours - they are so many years ahead of their time.  Leveille  and Rousseau were fabulous artists I think.
Here is a direct link to the Sotheby's vase for future reference, as the link I posted seems to have disappeared
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2003/decorative-arts-design-from-1870-w03811/lot.575.html
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand