No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Vase help with dating / any other information?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline mattglass

• Members
Re: Mdina Vase help with dating / any other information?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
Last try with some picture, no flash this time, taken outside in natural light.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »
Those photos are better, they show it well. It reminded me of those wheel shaped weights too, perhaps they are mid 70s to early 80s.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »
Wrong number of indents for it to be the same mould! There are only 6 in the weights, - and agreed, the weights probably date to the mid-later '70s - although I very strongly suspect the clear and yellow crizzle ones (like the one I showed) are earlier than the reddy brown or blue ones.
What is also worrying me a little about being definite about the piece in question being very early is that they have been recently making a lot of stuff very similar to the very early work - there are now pwts with a big rough bark texture and they've been making a lot of (big) animals and dolphin-y things.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline mattglass

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »
I have a pair of the yellow crizzle type paperweights, and I always felt they were older than the blue ones I have.

The general wear on the base give me the impression it is an older piece, how old I have no idea though, I haven't handled too many 'early' pieces, unfortunately I started collecting more recently, so the prices for some of the earlier pieces are well over budget for me!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Not if they're strange ones such as this - because nobody is really sure what they are!
I am leaning towards this being an earlyish experimental sort of bit, mid-'70s. I would doubt it's as late as the '80s. But I could be wrong. ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand