No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it possible to have a missing glass handle made for this vase ?  (Read 2970 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Is it possible to have a missing glass handle made for this vase ?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »
Oh dear, that is just horrible:o
I had to run off and check dates - to see if Rousseau was before Marinot, (which he was, darn it!  :P ).
But that thing is... ugly glass of the century contender?  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 11:40:08 AM »
He is  one of my favourite glassies  I do have one of his vases I found about 35 years ago unfortunately I don't have a Marinot after searching about 45 years . :'( Victor Arwas and Dan Klien were fans of Rousseau. . Men of good taste.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
Rousseau is one of my heroes of glass  :)
I think he was an utterly amazing designer and pushed extraordinary boundaries in creating new glass techniques and beautiful pieces.  I have one Leveille (or Rousseau) vase .... I'd sell most of my collection to have more  8)

Janine Bloch-Dermant in The Art of French Glass says
'Francois-Eugene Rousseau (1827-1891)
'... More important, Rousseau was one of the first to take up the manufacture of overlay or cased glass made with two or three differently coloured layers. In doing so he revived a technique known to the Venetians and Chinese in the 18th century.  And this took place at a moment when Galle was still decorating monochrome glass'. (my underlining to demonstrate a point)
'In it's glyptic or cold state, Rousseau had the superficial layer (overlay) of opaque, and often intensely coloured, glass carved as if it were stone (plate 22).  In passages where this occurred he revealed the under layer of glass, and since this foundation had been left translucent, the effects obtained by the casing and the carving were both bold and refined.'
Rousseau was an amazing designer I think -
it says
' Rousseau knew no chemistry; thus, his technical collaboration with the Appert brothers became increasingly important.'
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
Taste is subjective, M! It may be well made and pushing boundaries, but I still reckon that lump is just hideous.
It might go well with a ton or so of ormalu!  ;)

Would a bit of ormalu tacked on fix the appearance of Baked Beans handle?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »
Nice one M I knew there were gals with taste on the forum . 8)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »
Hey Sue when it's done (with or without ormolu) I'll post pic's , if it doesn't shatter ( & the enamelling melts) in the process  ::)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »
It would not look right without some sort of replica handle.
I'm even wondering about some moulded plastic or perspex.

What about that plastic resin you used to get to make paperweights with? You mix it with something, pour it and it sets.

But adding glass to it with heat would be a complete no-no, I cannot see it being accomplished well and without hurting the thing  as a whole.  And you can't display it with the broken bit to the back - it just doesn't look right.

But you could ormalu-ise the intact handle to make it match a faked ormalu bit
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
Sue you are absolutely right and that might not be the best example to show, but I'm  sure you will love many other of his examples of glass - many of those I've seen are exactly your 'thing' :)

JP, taste is in the eye of the beholder though isn't it :)   I was at the V&A last year and had been hankering after a piece of Andre Thuret glass, however I was so disappointed when I saw a piece there.  It was nowhere near as technically inspiring as many other pieces I've seen by other makers.  It's gone to the bottom of my list of 'would likes' but I'm sure he must have made other pieces that I would love.

With regards the handle, I have seen ancient glass repaired with a matching plastic 'insert' - I thought that was a sound way to repair glass - no damage to what it left and it 'looks' right from a distance.

I like Sue's idea of somehow ormolu'ising' the handle.  'I' would like that, but then I love a bit of gilt  ;D
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
Thanks Sue , I think you are right about the heat , I might just have to abandon the whole idea .

It  could be possible to make a modelling clay handle (that looks like the other) and then mould it in it's position on the vase using latex rubber ,  remove the whole, remove the clay and then cast using a tinted resin then stick it on..... It might be worth an attempt.

I really wanted to know if it could be done with glass though and I think you've answered my question .  ;) 

I will take it along to Bristol Blue Glass , which is only a couple of miles away, and see what they say ......"you can have any colour handle you like as long as it's blue"  :o

I've just seen your posts Sue & m ....thanks very much !

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand