No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it possible to have a missing glass handle made for this vase ?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: Is it possible to have a missing glass handle made for this vase ?
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »
Don't try this at home
 ;)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »
I wasn't going to  ;) ....I could make a mould of the vase but would there be any chance of it working as an idea ?
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
If it goes wrong you wont have a leg to stand on . ::) :o

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
 ;D  The legs are fine   ...it's the handle I'm wanting to muster :P

Do I really have to resort to resin ? .......someone throw me a bone here  :-*

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
My honest opinion?  Look for a new vase  ;D
m

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
HI ,
             Not really quite sure why you made this comment ,  Do I really have to resort to resin ? , resin in various forms has for  many many years and is still  today used by museum conservators and restorers when it comes to glass, why ? the results are good , reverseable and cause no further damage or alterations to the original glass,and cheaper than other alternatives.

cheers,
              Peter.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »
Thanks m & Peter very much for your comments.

m, it's a very justifiable view point ....and I'm seriously considering it !

Peter, I wholeheartedly agree with you ! I really thank you  for your suggestion !

I entirely understand the fact that matching the colour of the glass is a real problem and that resin is the only cheaper solution .

The only last point I wish to make is that it might be possible to make a high silicon-content/plaster  section of the vase and then use that to attach and form a  glass handle (as I suggested above) . I think a lost wax method would produce a matt finish which would be too difficult to polish.  It's an idea that I thought could possibly work , I might well go down that line of thought and see if it works on any colour of glass (blue perhaps  ;)) . But it will just be an experiment in that colour. If it works it will be interesting  :)

Failing this, I hope I will be able to follow your sound advice ,Peter , and have a resin handle made  ;)...I  promise to post photos if so !!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, I really do appreciate it,  and I promise ....I haven't lost the plot !!

Cheers, Mike.

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
Mike, I actually think your vase is unusual with the applied green feet and trailing.  It's very pretty, I really like it - I often see them with brown or blue but haven't spotted many with the green.
I would also say take a look around the Museo del Vetro and look at the Salviati pieces they have there - it's an online resource - the Salviati pieces aren't much earlier than your vase and many of them are in bits...literally :) but they are just as beautiful, simply stunning regardless of all the frilly bits missing and chipped rims etc.  and the museum thinks them deemed worthy of stunning photographs and an online resource!  missing bits and all.
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »
Thanks m

What a great website it is  ! I just typed in Salviati and pressed search here.......

http://www.archiviodellacomunicazione.it/Sicap/opac.aspx?WEB=MuseiVE&LNG=ENG

I like the way they photograph glasses, without a foot, upsidedown  and then they turn the photo through 180 degrees ! It does make me feel better about accepting damage though....it's good therapy   ;) 

I did buy the vase to try and restore it though, thinking it might be a fairly easy task,...how wrong can I be...it's a real challenge  ! 

Ta very much, Mike.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand