No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Newbie ID Help - Bullicante Gold fleck Blue Swirl Vase  (Read 592 times)

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Newbie ID Help - Bullicante Gold fleck Blue Swirl Vase
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:23:38 AM »
Just realized wrong category for ID help - Mods, can you move? Sorry.

Hello,

Just discovered this excellent source of knowledge and eye-candy!

I found this at a local tag sale and bundled it with some St Clair and EAGP - I thought it was just cool. Early research led me to Murano, but I'm not very lucky, so maybe China? Bottom is polished with small (dime size) rough pontil mark sunken just below polish.

Vase is roughly 7" x 4 1/2" and relatively thick. It has oval horizontal bubbles with gold fleck sparsely dispersed within the glass. Lighter blue color is outlined by darker blue and is stretched/coiled around the piece. Appears to be thickly cased. Lip has a little more flare than photo shows, due to wide angle lens. No markings

I was wondering what the correct term for the blue "swirling" around the piece would be, and any idea of maker/origin etc.

Any idea's appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Newbie ID Help - Bullicante Gold fleck Blue Swirl Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »
Hi and welcome to the GMB,

It looks like an interesting piece. Would it be possible to get another couple of photos, one looking down from a little above the piece (to see the mouth of the piece), and a shot of the base.  Taking the photos against a white background would help greatly.

I don't think it's bullicante, btw. In bullicante the bubbles are created by the glass being pressed against little spikes. These bubbles look more like what results when a  little pea of of some substance is picked up on the gather and then dissolves leaving a bubble. The technique was used in Murano. The piece was made in an optic mould, which creates those ridges around the vase. The blue swirling is probably the results of some glass, either in powder form or small pieces of frit, being picked up on the gather of glass and then dispersed a little by rolling the glass on a metal table (a marver). That's the element of the vase that looks least like Murano.

David 
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tripp31

• Members
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Re: Newbie ID Help - Bullicante Gold fleck Blue Swirl Vase
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:14:44 AM »
Thanks David,

I will get some better photos up in a day or two. I love the vase and it was in some good company when purchased.......I have spent many hours researching, to no avail. The shape is very reminiscent of Burlon "BB" Craig - a NC Potter (clay) famous for both swirl and face jugs in the 40's-70's, not that this means anything - but it's what attracted me initially to the piece.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tripp31

• Members
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Re: Newbie ID Help - Bullicante Gold fleck Blue Swirl Vase (new pics)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
David/Anyone interested - attached are some more pics of above vase (hopefully better).

Thanks in advance for any info/opinions.

PS - Picked a couple of cool (Murano looking) pieces Sat. at a local community yard sale - I'll post some pics of these in separate post.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand