No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hat Vase ID, please. Fenton? or ?  (Read 480 times)

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Hat Vase ID, please. Fenton? or ?
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
I would call this color Tangerine (maybe the photo is a little more red than in real life), very close to the Tangerine in some older Fenton stretch glass vases.  I've also seen the molded base detail on Fenton but also on a couple other makers.

Measures 3-3/4" tall, 7-1/2" widest.  Base is 2-5/8" across.

Can anyone confirm the maker?   :)

TIA, -Buck
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: Hat Vase ID, please. Fenton? or ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
Bueller, Bueller? ... Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before?

No love for my hat vase or bowl, eh?  ;D

Would still like to identify the maker.  The only dedicated Fenton book I have is the Heacock's Fenton Glass: The Third 25 Years, which covers 1931-55.  It's not in there.  My wife thinks this vase is later, I think it may be earlier.   Some Fenton pieces have the Fenton mark in the mold.  No mark on this one.   Maybe not Fenton at all.
Pithy sig withheld

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:47:39 AM »
The problem with this particular piece is simply the shape & foot could be Fenton, U.S. Glass (Tiffin) or Northwood although I doubt Northwood unless it was made in 1924-1925 just before they closed, but at the very least the above manufacturers & perhaps a couple more made this type of modified bowl/vase & I gave up long ago trying to decifer who did what with this design & how to tell which was which even though they were produced somewhat nearby from me.  It isn't lack of love, its simply frustration.   

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 04:15:56 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Ohio. 

I had looked at US Glass (Tiffin) and Northwood earlier but I didn't see a base with this diameter nor a color that looked just right.   

At this point I favor that it was produced by LE Smith circa 1960.  The base diameter measures the same as some of the LE Smith 'Sombrero' or 'Pansy' vases of that time, other dimensions fairly close too.   And thinking about it now I think it's a common LE Smith color as well. (full disclosure, I'm a bit color blind so I check with my wife).  I'll dig up a LE Smith book somewhere and see if I can't confirm it.   With all the glass company acquisitions and selling/buying of molds it gets difficult to tell who made what when.
Pithy sig withheld

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 05:54:20 AM »
Yeah & Smith used old purchased molds for years up until they closed. Tiffin made a color they called Persimmon in the 1960s thats close & used some of the 30s molds with that color.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand