No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Still find some jems on Ebay !  (Read 811 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Still find some jems on Ebay !
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »
Very pleased to have found this gorgeous little jem on Ebay recently for a few pounds, a Walther Rosen powder bowl (Been looking for a piece of Rosen after selling a blue bowl I had a few years ago which had a tiny nick...always regretted selling ) I love the acanthus leaves under the bowl which remind me of the acanthus leaves on the 'Olympic Rings' bowl. How it survived the journey to me is amazing  :o  The lid was turned up side down in the bowl with one piece of bubble wrap between, it was then wrapped in one small piece of bubble wrap then tightly wrapped in a piece of corrugated cardboard wrapped in tape!!

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-18879
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-18878
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-18877

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Still find some jems on Ebay !
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »
You must have a guardian angel.

If you look hard enough ebay still has plenty of hidden goodies, usually badly described and in an odd category.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
Now, should we start a new topic to show off all our gleefully (guiltily?) acquired cheapies?  I have quite a few, but admit to being rather embarrassed at my good fortune  :-[ ;D

Heck that packing method makes me cringe. I wonder if people are trying desperately to get the weight within certain limits, at the expense of 'superfluous' packing material!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »
I'm not sure that sort of thread would be a good idea, David.
It could give rise to jealousy in those who are not so inclined to be happy for others' good fortune.
And we've all overpaid for things too, I'm sure - so it's swings and roundabouts anyway.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
Yeah, particularly if we bought/sold to another GMB member...
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »
 ;D Ohhh spoil sports...go on brag away, I love a good bargain story. I have been very lucky to have had lots of beautiful  glass given me from elderly aunts who are fed up of dusting it !! But The Rosen powder bowl was £4.50 but the other Rosen large bowl I had I bought for 50p in a car boot and sold for £20. ;)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »
Ok, I have mentioned it here before but a quick repeat of the story...

One October several years ago at a wet and windy bootsale with only about a dozen sellers I bought this beauty (photo does not really do it justice): https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5429986536823925058
The seller claimed it was from 'Medina in Italy' and was asking ten quid for it. I picked it up and noticed it was signed but it meant nothing to me as I was not interested in Mdina at the time and had barely heard of them. I offered them five quid and they accepted. When I got home I tapped the details into ebay and discovered one had just sold for 600 quid. :o

Anyway, it was the start of what has turned into a large collection. ;D

Other bargains include a bit of Soffiati for three quid (sold for 150): https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/MiscellaneousGlass#5684183221873764626

and a Oiva Toikka flycatcher for £1.49 that sold for £198: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/ScandinavianGlass#5433585327774859458
Though that one required a donation of cash and other goodies to the charity shop concerned.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »
eeek - I'd not have paid £1.49 for that neodynium thing in the first place... I'd have mentally gone; "Far Eastern, TKMaxx, unwanted gift." and kept my precious cash in my pocket!

My bestest bargain must be my amethyst strapped club bottle - but it was from a shop, no longer with us. The seller insisted it was Portugese, and it was priced at £66. I was with my brother and his partner - the shopkeeper was getting himself in a muddle with stuff he was desperate to show us, which we were not interested in (a ton of pink flowery Ysart weights) and busily telling us that a (marked) Walsh Walsh uranium Pompaiin handled vase was Monart. I found a nice Carltonware Spider's Web plate I wanted too, and between this and that and the other and the shopkeeper getting totally confused, he only charged me £40 for my amethyst bottle. I did know it was Mdina, (smug git that I am) and for a very long time it was the only one known. It was confirmed by Ron many years later when he found a signed one.
I wouldn't part with it for £4,000!  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »
loving this thread.... more please!! I did buy this uranium Poinsettia Depression glass vase complete with frog for £6 from a charity shop when on holiday in Devon a few years ago when I was just collecting green glass of any kind. I recently found out that it quite scarce and worth a few bob, but I love it so it's staying with me for now !!
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-17310
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-17311
Craziest thing was when I bought a piece of glass from a stall in the flea market for £10 and sold it to another stall holder in the same market on same day for twice the price !! ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:40:19 PM »
embarrassing story that is not to do with glass, but here goes............I was at John's wet and windy boot sale - or similar - and early in the morning fished a book from an old lady's bag.         This turned out to be a numbered copy of Peter Scott's 'Dawn Flight', and the old lady said to me ...."it's signed you know" - so I flipped to the first page and it said........from Uncle Sid to Master Robin - Happy Christmas 1930 something.         That's no good I said, it's not an inscription that is of use to anyone,  and so she sighed and sold me the book for four quid.

Got home - took the book indoors and looked at the second page, which said........'From Peter Scott with all good wishes' - followed by his signature.
I sold it for £140.       

Like some others here I've bought pieces in charity shops for £2.99, and sold them later for much more  -  but I've also made mistakes and given a lot to charity shops over the years, so have this feeling that my net profit is rather small, if it exists at all, and then there's the fortune I've paid out in petrol and desiel.       
I get a buzz from the fun of the hunt though, not knowing what will turn up next, always hoping for another bargain  - isn't that what it's all about?? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand