No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need ID help - Large blown mug w/blue handle  (Read 560 times)

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Need ID help - Large blown mug w/blue handle
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:39:16 PM »
Any ID help appreciated. Pontil mark on bottom - attempt at polishing. Diamond pattern "impressed" into glass.

Glass is 6 1/8" tall and rim is 3 1/2".

Applied and ribbed blue handle.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Re: Need ID help - Large blown mug w/blue handle
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
Bump....any guesses?

After hours of searching internet, the only item even close was a Morgantown "Danube" pitcher (currently on Ebay) item # 350805254531

The color of the handle is a close match to handle on my mug - this shade of blue is not very common. I was *sure* this blue would make ID'ing this one easy, but............

For what it's worth, the collector mostly went for West Virginia pieces and all were American, but her daughter seemed oblivious to the glass collection. I just made an offer for it all and hit the road.

Can anyone rule out Morgantown? Did they do any custom order pieces? Could this be something along those lines i.e. factory tours where one could purchase a piece that the Glass Master was currently working on during the tour?

I'm about to throw in the towel on this and just put it in my display - I kind of like it anyway -  it just really bugs me not knowing the maker of items in my personal collection (every now and then a visitor will really take an interest and I will give them a piece or two to start their own). I always make sure it's not "super rare" though, and with this I just don't know.

If any other photos could help ID, please advise and I can post macro shots of specific areas of interest.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »
Had a look through my one and only book on American glass,the section on Morgantown is just 10 pages,there's nothing similar,sorry, ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »
I would ask on here http://www.chataboutdg.com/ though there isn't one in their gallery

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand