No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase with internal bubbles possibly Monart or other British...?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Vase with internal bubbles possibly Monart or other British...?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »
Finally came across the example in the below link, which I thought I would add for reference, which is the same shape.

http://fieldingsauctions.co.uk/lot/5194

As eluded to earlier, I presume this shape or very similar was used across both Keith Murrary designs and Stevens & Williams own production items, so whilst not definitive, interesting to see a marked Keith Murray example, nevertheless.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
I'm going to seem really pedantic now  :-[, but that's not the same shape as far as I can see.  The neck has been constructed differently and it seems slightly more bulbous. And we don't know how it's marked.  It just says acid stamped.  It might be acid stamped S&W rather than Keith Murray. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »
 :) Don't worry, the devil is always in the detail! Just comparing both side by side, you may well be right about the neck, its hard to see exactly as the other photo is taken at a slightly elevated angle, however, the neck does certainly appear shorter on the one in the link. Both of the heights seem ok.

I think this underlines the previous point mentioned regarding the similarities and influences between both S&W's own production and the Keith Murray designs.  :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
I'm away for about a week from early tomorrow, but could Greg and m email me concerning the linked vase please?

For other readers, please don't believe everything that you find online  :( ???

Nigel

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »
Hi Nigel - I've emailed you. Many thanks, Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
Just my tuppence worth, but the vase in the fieldings auction and the original vase look like completely different species to me.
The auction one is much thinner - it doesn't look cased, the neck is short, the bubbles aren't right, the colour is consistent rather than shaded - I'd never have suspected S&W - but I'm not in any way somebody who can recognise S&W in general - I just know a couple of bits really - this purple bubbly design and the rainbow one.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand