No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano/ Romanian Glass Fish  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Murano/ Romanian Glass Fish
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
Can I reiterate, I do not think these fish are Murano. I would be interested to know why you think they are. Can you show me a labelled one?

I think you also have to be careful with the clowns. Unless you can match one with a labelled one, these too may not be from Murano. It's the same with the multi-coloured "Murano" glass baskets; most of them are from Romania

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline friskybadger

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano Clowns & Fish
    • England
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »
Hi Loustrousstone,

I believe you are correct about the fish, they are all Romanian! I was just going to ask about the little glass baskets as they are obviously made in the same way with similar markings etc. Again I think they to would be Romanian. Murano has been wrongly associated with these items for no reason and the tag has stuck.

The clowns are easier to identify once you have a bit of experience. You can tell the patterns and even some of the makers techniques and identify them. There are copies popping up which I think are Chinese imitations.

Thanks for the help.

Mart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
Clowns are also coming put of Bulgaria too  >:(

Offline friskybadger

• Members
    • Murano Clowns & Fish
    • England
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 10:14:09 AM »

I'll keep an eye out for them. I've seen a lot of 'Murano' for sale from Bulgaria.

Mart

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
remember that many glassworkers have traveled all over the world and work in many different factories. I know poersonally of several of the great Murano artists that spent time in Mexico for several years training Mexican workers nand doing work in Mexico. Also several UK and US people that have moved to China and run factories there after they trained the Chinese. The similiarities may because they are actually made by some of the same artisans or people that are trained by them. People travel a lot anymore and it's not unusual for some of the artists to work in many parts of the world.
I have a friend who many years ago worked for the following companies in the US, Blenko, Fenton, Indiana Glass, his own shop and several others. Who knows that many of the Italians may be doing some work in other countries since many of the Italian companies and studios have closed or downsized or the Romanians may have worked in Murano at one time or another and developed the same skills.
I currently have a friend that is doing major consulting and training work with a small Chinese company  and he lives in the US. He's teaching them exotic color formulations, polishing techniques and all sorts of other things and some of the people from the factory are coming to the US to be trained.
I have another friend that has developed glass factories in Mexico and China after selling his factory in the US.
I'm not sure that the country of manufacture is that important as it is that the pieces are good pieces of art.
Dale Chihuly rented factories in many different countries for short periods of time to make some of his larger installations. including Waterford, and factories in Finland, Murano, and Japan.

Offline friskybadger

• Members
    • Murano Clowns & Fish
    • England
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Hi,

I think you are right about the origin does not matter. If you like it then it's good. I would like to know if anyone has bought one of these fish in Murano or if they are all Romanian Splatter glass. Any clues?

Regards

Mart

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:05 AM »
Lustrousstone said:
Can I reiterate, I do not think these fish are Murano. I would be interested to know why you think they are. Can you show me a labelled one?

So, has anyone EVER seen one with  Murano label?  Or any proof any were made at Murano?  I ask as I had a bit of a ding dong with a friend not so long ago who got quite heated about her daughter's collection of "murano fish".  Seems her aunt had been a general antique dealer, and swore they were Murano, so my comments about them being Romanian did not go down too well  LOL!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »
there is another thread here with lovely pics of Keith's collection and on that thread, one of our members said he sold a small blue speckled one with a made in Romania label on it.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28881.msg156534.html#msg156534

Offline friskybadger

• Members
    • Murano Clowns & Fish
    • England
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »

I think they are all from Romania as it is the only label people have seen and nobody seems to have seen or bought one from Murano. You can go to clown factories and see them being made, I don't recall any glass fish factories.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »
There were lots of these round where we live and they were always known as Chance glass fish,something I believed until I came here and was  corrected :o ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand