No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hello all! Need to id old glass decanter amethyst  (Read 852 times)

Offline robertglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • united states
Hello all! Need to id old glass decanter amethyst
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
 :)new here and very happy to find this great site. we acquired this heavy glass and pewter set in the 80s in belgium. does anyone know who the maker is? here are the pics. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Hello all! Need to id old glass decanter amethyst
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »
hello and welcome to the GMB.             Just looking at these pieces, unsure of your reasons for saying 'old' - although they may well have some age.           Cork stoppers have had a limited use in decanters, but there seems to have been some popularity around the last third of the C19 - with just a possibility that it might have been more common on the Continent of Europe (as a suggestion perhaps German).       Did these two pieces come together??   What exactly is being depicted on the pewter badges.
Regret I can't offer an attribution, but would be interested in seeing a base picture of both the beaker and decanter  -  as this might help with dating.
Amethyst is a desirable colour - very attractive :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
meant to say that it can be useful and helpful to know the dimensions of pieces  -  look forward to hearing from you with details of sizes etc. :)

Offline robertglass

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
Thanks so much for helping me out. The set was purchased together: 4 glasses, one decanter. I am enclosing bottom pics.  decanter 11" tall by 6" wide; glass 6" tall. Hope this helps. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »
Don't think it does, unfortunately, although am sure neither piece has the age I first suggested, and now seeing the bases, most probably machine made/pressed, so more likely to be first half C20.           Assume no marks on the metalwork - are you sure it's pewter?    It looks a little bright - someone may have been using metal polish.                     Pewter of any age should never be cleaned, but if essential then with perhaps only warm soapy water and soft cloth.

Not sure that the motif is of any real significance...............  rampant lions, lizards or whatever, below crowns,  are suggestions of heraldry and tend to look important - although in this instance it may just be stylized and not a reference to any factual arms.

suggest you simply enjoy using these pieces. :)

Offline robertglass

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:59:01 AM »
 ;)Dear Paul: With your exhaustive analysis of the pieces we are inclined to believe this amazing set did not belong to Bismarck or the Tzar of Russia. It is good of you to take the time to do this, we thank you so much!!!!!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »
Pewter applications would usually point at Italy or Belgium  - I think these are from Empoli, circa 1970s or later.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
glad to have tried to help Robert - we enjoy the challenge, sometimes, although suspect on this occasion that Ivo's thoughts are probably nearer the truth :)

Offline robertglass

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »
indeed this was purchased in Brussles but earlier than the 70s. dealer said it is from turn of century or earlier. perhaps application is tin not pewter. ummm...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
a couple of simple tests you might make which could help to determine if this is pewter, are...............

try rubbing the metal parts across paper  -  if it is pewter you should create a grey pencil lead type of mark on the paper, since pewter contains a high proportion of lead.

using a pin (the pointed end) you should be able to make a mark very easily on pewter, but not on harder alloys. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand