No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted glass mushroom lamp etched with leaves  (Read 616 times)

Offline Dano

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • eclectic/general
    • Ireland
Frosted glass mushroom lamp etched with leaves
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
Hi,
Can anyone identify this mushroom lamp please? I've seen mushroom lamps online in this size and shape but they all have swirl decoration rather than the frosting and etching like mine. The swirl decorated ones seem often to be Murano/Venini. Mine measures approx 11 inches high, 4 inches diameter top and bottom and 9 inches diameter at its widest. It has no damage except for a few scratches here and there on the frosting. Photos below.
Many thanks in advance for any help.
Dan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Frosted glass mushroom lamp etched with leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:37:19 AM »
Hiya and welcome to the board.

I have one of these lamps in grey swirled glass and you're correct - it comes from the same mould. I seriously doubt if it is Italian though - I would sooner believe it is from Germany or Sweden.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dano

• Members
    • eclectic/general
    • Ireland
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »
Thanks for your response and the welcome, Ivo. German or Swedish, mmm, interesting. When I first got the lamp a few months ago in a charity shop (thrift store) in Ireland I thought it looked practically brand new but now I suspect it has been around a while as the electrical fittings parts of it have a 60s or 70s look about them - for example, there's a switch half way down the flex with that look. There don't seem to be too many of my lamp around - I can't find another like it on the internet.
Regards
Dan

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:40:02 AM »
Hi Dano,

You've asked about the possibility of it being Peill & Putzler over email, I'll answer in the thread just to keep info available for others.

Though I have a lot of P&P vases, I don't have any catalogues (and I haven't studied lamp designs). P&P vases are often marked with a double P etchmark, which makes it easier to identify them.

What I can tell is that P&P lamp designs are usually a bit more 'modern' looking. The shape of your lamp looks '70s to me, but in the P&P 70's designs were often more abstract, often geometrical. The flower pattern etched on it looks off to me.

I can't rule out that it might be P&P, but it wouldn't be my first bet. It still might be German, though.

What I would do if I were in your shoes is to check shops on internet that sell vintage design lamps, to get a general feel for period design. Not that each and every attribution will be right, but checking out many of them will give you a better feeling which country or maker would fit better.

Good luck,

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Dano

• Members
    • eclectic/general
    • Ireland
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:50:45 AM »
Hi Astrid,
Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply and advice. I know exactly exactly what you mean about the etching or engraving. I'll follow your advice and keep on looking.
Best regards,
Dan

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:22:14 AM »
Another addition. The cord and plug has a great number of electrical certification marks, including S, N, D, F, VDE, Kema, ÖVE en a lot of others which cannot be properly identified - this is a world in itself and defies its own purpose. What is lacking is the GS which replaced these or most of these in 1977 so I have the idea that my lamp is older than that.

Offline Dano

• Members
    • eclectic/general
    • Ireland
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »
Hi Ivo,
Thanks for that idea - I hadn't thought of examining the flex and switch for marks. There are none on the flex but with the aid of a jeweller's loop (eyeglass) I could make out on the switch the marks you describe. See the first photo below, which I had to adjust with Photoshop to make it easier to see. I opened the switch to see if there any marks inside (none) and was surprised to see the flex where it goes in there is pure white - so the cream colour of the rest of it must be the effect of age, I guess.
Best regards,
Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand